Chapter 6

Jay's POV:

     The whole Intelligence unit sat in the waiting room of Chicago Med. Kim was comforting Adam, while I bounced my leg up and down in my chair. My gaze moved from them to my hands that were still soaked in her blood. Without telling anyone why, I left the waiting room to clean myself up.

     Once I was done, I walked back into the waiting room. A blank expression plastered on my face. So many thoughts kept going through my head. What if that was our last conversation? I can't live without her. If she didn't make it, she will be another face that haunts me for the rest of my life.

     My thoughts were interrupted by Will walking into the waiting room. Everyone stood up hoping for the best.

     "It's good news", the tension dropped immediately with those three words. "The blade missed anything of importance, and all we had to do was stitch her up. She lost a lot of blood however and will be in here for a couple of days for observation. Taytum will need some time off of work to heal, but will definitely be able to return to full duty."

     "Thank you", Adam pulled Will into a hug. "Can we see her?"

     "Just doing my job and yes. She's still a little out of it, so let's make it one at a time for now", Will patted my shoulder as he walked back into the ED.

     "You can go", Adam surprised me. I was sure he would want to be the first one to see her. "I'm gonna go to her apartment and grab some of her toiletries. Besides I could tell that whole argument thing was driving you crazy."

     "Thanks man. Drive safe", I pulled Adam into a bro hug as I headed for Taytum's room.

     I saw Taytum through the glass of the door. She looked tired, but healthy. I took one last sigh of relief before I knocked on the door frame. "Hey."

     "Hi", she said with a sleepy smile. 

     I walked over to her bed and sat in the plastic chair that sat next to it. So many emotions have been building up, but like always I pushed them aside. Eventually something would cause me to break down, and holding Taytum's hand just happened to do it.

    "Hey what's wrong", she rubbed her thumb over my hand as a couple tears escaped.

     "I-I don't know what I would've done if that argument was our last conversation. I'm sorry", I couldn't keep my voice from cracking.

     "Shh, come here", Taytum lifted her blanket as I crawled into bed with her. I sat on her good side and wrapped my arm around her. I placed a kiss on her forehead as she rested her head on my chest. It wasn't long until she was asleep again. 

     ***

     Adam knocked on the door frame as I raised my fingers to my lips, signaling him to be quiet.

     "She's been out for awhile, but she needs the rest", I gently moved out of Taytum's bed knowing Adam wanted to spend some time with her. I also didn't want Adam to get mad I was cuddling his little sister. I remember the first brother talk he had with me about Taytum.

~Flashback

    "So, I heard you took Taytum for drinks last night. Funny thing is, I don't remember you being at Molly's", Adam said as I closed my locker.

     "Yeah, we went for drinks somewhere other than Molly's. As friends", I laughed. I know how protective I am  of Will and if I had a sister, I can only imagine how protective I would be over her.

     "Look man, she's my big sis. If you plan on dancing the horizontal tango with her you should re-think that."

     "Whoah, whoah, whoah. Adam we are just friends I promise", I laughed at the ridiculous thought Adam had in his head. At least I used to think it was ridiculous. 

    "You better be. Or else I'll have to kick your ass", Adam tried to stay serious as he said it.

     "Yeah, right."

~End of Flashback

Taytum's POV:

     My eyes slowly fluttered open as I realized Jay's muscular arm was no longer wrapped around me. Instead Adam occupied the plastic chair next to my bed. 

     "How long have you been sitting there?", I asked as I groggily opened my eyes.

     "A couple hours. I didn't want to wake you", he stood up, placing a kiss on my forehead, than sat back down. "How are you feeling?"

     "No, no, no. As my brother you know I hate being asked that, so we're gonna pretend you never did. Where's Jay?", I raised my eyebrow realizing Adam was the only one in the room.

     "Will said one visitor at a time for today, to give you rest. He's in the waiting room, but don't think I didn't notice how you were all cuddly with him", Adam joked. At first he wasn't as understanding of our friendship, but now we just joke about it.

     "Whatever", I rolled my eyes to exaggerate my annoyance as Adam laughed. 

     The next couple of hours Adam and I spent talking, with the occasional nurse coming in to interrupt. He told me they caught Reid which is good news. His drug-trafficking ring will most likely go down with him, and I won't have to be paranoid. I also don't have to deal with Jay and Adam following me around if Reid was still out there.  Adam was milking the fact that in only a couple days of being in Intelligence, I've managed to get a bloody nose, kidnapped, and stabbed. Thankfully, a knock on the door interrupted that conversation. I expected Jay, but was surprised to see it was Kelly.

     "I'm gonna grab a coffee", Adam patted me on the shoulder as he left the room. 

    "Glad to hear you didn't break the promise", Kelly smiled as he sat down next to me, grabbing my hand in the process. 

     "Oh, I would never", I smiled back.

~Flashback

     "Look Kelly, I love you. I really do, but this just isn't working. It sounds cliché, I know but I really want us to be friends", I sat at Kelly's kitchen island.

     "I love you too, but you're right. Me and Stella obviously have some un-finished business, and you can lie all you want but everyone notices the way you and Jay look at each other", Kelly slightly laughed as I hit him on the arm when he said that last part.

    "We have to promise each other something, though. I promise that we'll actually be good friends. We will still talk normally and do things together as friends. We won't be those problematic people who say they'll be friends but only talk every six months. Lastly I promise that no matter what, I'll show up. We'll always be there for each other without fail", I looked Kelly straight in the eyes as I talked, to show how important this was to me.

     "I promise."

     ~A/N

     Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm so sorry for the slow update but I should be updating more regularly now! Thanks to everyone who's reading, it means a lot :)