Chapter One

All that Kiramari could see was darkness. She couldn't tell which was left or right, up or down. But, she felt the familiar coldness that followed her since the start of SAO. The familiar coldness of death always seemed to follow her whenever she faced enemies. This time, however, it seemed to embrace her as if it claimed her.

"Am I really dead? Is this how it feels like?" Amari asked in her mind, "Is this just my brain working and having its final thoughts until I die. I read in an article that it said it takes seven minutes for the brain to stop functioning after death, but I doubt that. The headset should've had my brain fried at this point."

"I wonder if Asuna and Kirito made it out. I hope that they are safe.......Am I going to be with Shun again? I'm sorry, Hideki....mom." Suddenly, a light blinded her as she finished her thought. "Wait, what's happening?"

Amari opened her eyes, squinting her eyes at the brightness of the Sun. She placed her hand over her eyes to see the sky as she sat up. She looked around, finding herself under a tree. "Where am I?"

She stood up and tried to access the menu, but nothing came up. She tilted her head and looked at her outfit. She was wearing a maid's outfit and her sword was nowhere to be seen.

"That's strange....." She placed her head on her hand, leaning against the tree.

"Marie! Where are you? It's time to head back to the Ruby Palace. I don't want the head maid to yell at you." A girl's voice was heard behind her. Amari stayed still until the girl stood in front of her, panting heavily.

"Marie, did you not hear me? I said you have to go back, Lillian said that she needed to talk to you." The girl said, grabbing Akari's arm and dragging her towards a building.

Amari shook her head and pulled her arm away, "I'm not Marie, my name is Kiramari."

The girl turned around and gave her a strange look, "No, you're Marie. Geez, did you hit your head or something? It was probably because of the puddle you slipped on earlier...I swear I never meet a new maid like you. You just started working yesterday too."

Amari was beyond confused, but let the girl continue to drag her away. She brought her in front of a door, pushing her in. "Lillian, I brought Marie as you asked."

In front of them was a woman with brown hair pulled up in a bun and teal eyes. She smiled at them, "Thank you, Hannah."

The girl waved and left through the door. The head maid sighed before looking at Amari. "I know that you started working here yesterday, but I want you to become the princess' new nanny. I'm afraid that I'm too busy to take care of her myself and I don't trust the other maids. Can I trust that you can do that?"

Not knowing what to do, Amari decided to go along with it. She bowed, "Yes, Lillian."

The woman gave her a smile, "Thank you, Marie. I knew I could trust you. I already talked to the head maid about it. She wanted you to clean the floors with Ces and Hannah today."

"Yes, Lillian...."

"You can call me Lily," Lillian said, giving her a smile.

Amari gave her a small smile back, "Yes, Lily."

****

That night, Amari sat in her room and hugged her knees on the bed. She thought about what happened today. It seemed like she wasn't in SAO anymore and it certainly wasn't Japan. She asked around and learned a few things.

She learned about the Tyrant of the Obelian Empire, Claude De Alger Obelia, who recently killed his concubines after Diana died from giving birth. The poor princess was abandoned into the Ruby Palace since then and is currently a month old. She could already tell that it's a mess.

She glanced at the mirror, which faced her bed, and saw herself. Her appearance didn't change much as she still had her dark brown hair and light brown eyes, but looked older, around nineteen years old.

In her mind, she was either reincarnated into someone that looked like her. Or maybe she was reincarnated into another version of herself in another world.

Nevertheless, she didn't know what happened to her, but she knew that she had to play along. She didn't know anything about this world so she'll have to get familiar with it before making any big decisions.

So starting tomorrow, she isn't Amari Akira a.k.a Kiramari, the relentless knight anymore. She is Marie, the loyal nanny of Princess Athanasia De Alger Obelia.