Chapter Eight

"Thank you for inviting Athy to tea." Athanasia curtsied, sparks surrounding her as the maids and Felix awed at the sight. Marie raised an eyebrow at Claude's lack of response, which she couldn't see how one can not admire the cuteness.

"Felix."

"Yes, your majesty?"

Felix had picked Athanasia up and placed her in the seat across from Claude, "Hmph. Fine. What was I expecting anyway."

"Good morning, Papa!" Athanasia said with a smile. She took a glance between Marie and Claude. She could see Claude firmly staring at Marie, who ignore his stares as she closed her eyes.

Athanasia started to swing her legs back and forth, "Papa was in my dream yesterday!"

"A dream...?"

"Athy was with Papa and Marie and Lily and Felix and we went to pick the stars and the moon and had fun!"

"That's a weird dream." Claude commented, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at Marie, who continued to ignore him.

"Athy was so happy Athy got to play with Papa." Marie smiled slightly at Athanasia, placing a piece of cake down. Athanasia eyes sparkled at the sight, "Athy's favorite cake?!"

Marie chuckled, "Yes, princess. I made it before coming outside. I do hope you enjoy."

"Yay!" Athanasia cheered, drooling at the sight of the chocolate cake.

Claude stared at the cake, never seeing the type of cake before, "What is it?"

Marie flinched at the sound of his voice, not wanting to interact and remembered her discussion with Lily last night. She bowed her head, "It's a Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake, your majesty."

Claude didn't say anything and looked away, making Marie let out a small breath of relief. She watched him spacing out, seeing the dark circles under his eyes. She remembered the portrait of the woman in his room. She wondered if he missed her....

She was brought out of her trance when Athanasia spoke, "Papa, is that good?"

Claude looked down to his tea cup, "It's not enjoyed for its taste."

"Athy wants what Papa's having!"

"It might be too strong for you, Princess." Marie said, looking at Athanasia.

"I want it! I want the same one!" Athanasia pouted. Marie was hesitant, not knowing the type of tea Claude drank. She didn't know if it was bitter as Athanasia liked sweet things.

"Let her have it. If she want it, I won't stop her." Claude said, making Athanasia beam.

Athanasia held the tea cup with seriousness, which made Felix chuckle at the sight. She took a sip, "Athy likes it too! It feels like flowers are blooming inside Athy's mouth!" 

A sudden tense atmosphere appeared causing confusion to Marie and Athanasia. Marie looked warily to the two men, seeing their faces pale.

"....I see you have taken a liking to it. It's called Lippe Tea. His Majesty enjoys it as well. And Lady Diana also enjoyed it." Felix said slowly, looking at the ground, "'It feels like flowers are blooming in my mouth' is what she said."

Athanasia and Marie glanced at Claude, "Mommy said the same thing as Athy?"

"Yes. Lady Diana was the reason why his majesty started to enjoy Lippe Tea. Lippe tea's main ingredient, Sanyu, only comes from Siodonna. Ah, the lady and his majesty once had tea in this very place toge-"

"I do not have such memories." Claude interrupted, glaring dangerously at Felix, "You are surprisingly chatty today. You're being too loud. Leave us."

"....Blessings and glory upon the Obelian Empire."

Felix left, taking a hesitant Marie with him as Athanasia sat in silence, not wanting to break the silence until Claude spoke, "You're still too young for tea. It would be best if you drank milk."

"Hehehe. Athy likes milk too."

Marie stood beside Felix far from the area, "Felix, who's Lady Diana? Is the woman in the protrait in his majesty's room?"

Felix averted his eyes to the area that they left, "No, she isn't in the portrait. Lady Diana was the emperor's love. She died after giving birth to Athanasia. She was a light to us with her warm smile and gentle spirit. She is someone he desperately wants to forget but cannot."

Marie nodded slowly, looking to see the small silhouette of Athanasia, "Athanasia....."

****

Athanasia laid on the ground, drawing on a piece of paper with a crayon. Marie sat beside her looking at the drawing, "What are you drawing, Princess?"

"Silly Mama! It's Lily! The second prettiest person in the world!" Athy shouted as Felix and Lily gathered around. Felix had discovered Athanasia calling Marie "mama", warning her to not call her as such in front of his majesty.

"Oh, really? Who's the first?" Marie asked with a small smirk.

"It's you, Mama!" Athanasia smiled at her, which made Marie tickle her.

Soon after, Athanasia started to draw another person. "Ah, I can tell this time, that's his majesty, right?"

"Nope! Wrong." Athanasia answered Felix, grabbing the paper and handing it to him, "I'll give this to you, Felix."

".....Is this me?" Felix smiled with a nice warm aura surrounding him, "Thank you....Thank you so much, Princess. I shall keep it as a family heirloom forever."

Athanasia shrugged, "Here, this is for Lily."

"My, am I this pretty in your eyes?" Lily asked the girl, taking the paper and admiring the work.

"As pretty as the sky and moon!"

Athanasia drew herself with the emperor, seemingly kicking him. "It's his majesty and the princess. His majesty would be very pleased," Felix commented, seeing the picture.

"Lily, Lily." Athanasia called out.

"Yes, Princess?"

"What does Mommy look like?" Athanasia suddenly asked, making the room cold. Marie started the two, furrowing her eyebrows in concern, "Athy wants to draw Mommy. But Athy doesn't know Mommy's face. Is Mommy's hair straight straight like Lily's or Wavy?"

"She had shimmering platinum blonde hair just like Princess Athanasia."

"Hmmm. Was it thiis long?"

"A bit shorter than that."

"How about the shape of her face?"

"It was...She was a beautiful person, just like Princess Athanasia."

"Like Athy?" As Athanasia continued to draw, she said, "I want to see her, too." The sudden coldness came into the room once more, chillier than before.

Marie couldn't help but feel a ping in her heart in sympathy and in envy. She knew she wasn't Athanasia's real mother, but she felt like a hollow replacement in that moment.