Chapter Nine

Marie sat on top of James' workbench at his shop. She had her arms crossed, staring at the picture of his family.  James' looked at his friend with concern, sneaking glances at her as he molded a new weapon. He didn't know what was going on inside that mind of hers. She just walked in with a blank expression and sat on his bench.

James sighed, stopping his work as he placed the hot metal in the water. He walked over and leaned against the bench with his arms crossed. "What's up with you? What has you so down today?"

Marie glanced at him before hugging her knees, "Athanasia asked about her mother yesterday...."

James raised an eyebrow at her, "And....."

"I feel like a replacement. I know I am overreacting, but I.....I cannot help the heartache that she needs her mother. I raised her since she was a baby. I was there, and I couldn't give her what she wanted most, her real mom. She calls me 'mama,' but can I truly be that for her? Am I her mama?" Marie asked, clenching her fist tightly.

James stared at her with pity, knowing her relationship with Athanasia. She was indeed a reason why Marie works so hard and pushes her limits. He knew all that she did for her and will continue to do. He placed a hand on her shoulder, "Family isn't always about the blood we share. It's the moments we cherish and the sacrifices we make. It's natural for the Princess to want her birth mother. We cannot stop that desire, but she loves you. She calls you mama because she loves you. You are her mama, no matter what."

Tears gathered in Marie's eyes as she looked at James, "Really?"

James grinned at her, wrapping an arm around her, "She's lucky to have you. No one has the guts to stand against the emperor, even for their children. It's a stupid move but brave."

Marie chuckled, pushing the smirking man away, "Hahaha. Very funny. What do you think I should do about him?"

James shrugged, moving away from the bench, "I do not know. Personally, do what you think is right. You know the Princess more than anyone. You know what she needs in her life. For her sake, you should continue to fight for her, be her advocate."

Marie nodded, "Thank you, James. I need that."

"Anything for my best client."

****

Marie made it back to the palace. She wanted to see Athanasia, so she made her way through the halls. She was about to turn the corner when she heard, "Papa will hate me if you ask him! He'll really, really hate me! I told you I don't want to see mommy anymore!"

Marie's eyes widened at Athanasia's words. She held her breath and saw the young girl sitting on the ground and the two adults looking extremely worried. She took a deep breath and walked towards them.

Athanasia heard her footsteps and turned around, "Mama!"

The little girl ran into her arms, shaking. Marie held onto her tightly, "What's wrong, sweetheart?" Athanasia shook her head, burying her head into Marie's shoulder. Marie looked at two adults, nodding, "I'll take care of her."

Marie picked the girl up, carrying her outside. She found a nice spot under a tree and sat down. She places her hand on Athanasia's cheek, making the girl look at her. "Athanasia, do not keep your feelings bottled in. You want to see your mommy. That's okay. There's no need to feel ashamed."

Athanasia shook her head, "But papa will hate me...."

"Athanasia," Marie said firmly, making the girl stop. "He'll have to get over it. You are his daughter." Athanasia stayed silent, resting her head on Marie's chest. 

Marie sighed, running her hand through her hair, "How about we make something for her?"

Athanasia peeked at her, "What do you mean?"

"I know that she isn't here with us, but we can still do something. I know she'll love it, especially if it's from you."

Athanasia thought about it before nodding, "Okay. What are we going to make?"

"I think a lantern with a small basket of flowers. What do you think?" Marie asked with a smile.

Athanasia gasped, "I want to do that! It's going to look so pretty!"

Athanasia went out to get flowers in a small basket. She placed pink azaleas and white gardenias into the basket, along with the picture she drew of Diana. She ran back to the Ruby Palace's kitchen when she was finished.

"I got them, Mama!" Athanasia shouted, using a crate to sit on the table.

Marie looked up from painting, seeing the flowers, "They're so pretty, sweetheart! I bet she's going to love them."

Athanasia saw the paint and asked, "Can I help paint?"

Marie nodded, handing Athanasia a small paintbrush. Athanasia stuck her tongue out and started to paint.

Soon, it became night, and the girls had finished the lantern. It was decorated with floral designs and little suns. Diana liked the Lippe tea and was seen as the sun, brightening everyone's life, so it was only fitting.

Athanasia held Marie's hand as they went towards the open flower field. She held onto the small basket tightly, looking up at the stars.

As they reached the middle of the field, Marie knelt beside Athanasia. She took the basket from Athanasia, tying it to the lantern.

Luckily, Marie remembered how to make a giant lantern from her past life. She used to do it with Hideki during festivals. He would always want to attach things to it, thinking that it would deliver it to their deceased father. It's was always a sentimental tradition. One that she wants to share with Athanasia.

Once she attached it to the lantern, Marie lit the candle. She turns to Athanasia, "Do you want to say something? I heard if you whisper to the lantern, it will reach the people that are gone."

Athanasia's eyes widened, "Really?" Marie nodded, smiling.

Athanasia stared at the lantern and wondered, 'What should I say?'

Felix and Lillian stood afar, smiling sadly at the whispering girl. They wanted to be a part of it but felt like they would intrude. They watched as Marie and Athanasia lifted the lantern into the air, carrying the flower basket. 

Marie stared at the lantern floating, thinking, 'Diana, I'll protect her and raise her right. Take care.' 

Suddenly, Athanasia jumped into Marie's arms, "Thank you, mama. I love you."

"I love you too," Marie said, hugging her back tightly.

****

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Sorry, I updated later than expected. I honestly got addicted to Sword Art Online; Fatal Bullet last night. I couldn't stop playing it. Then, I want to thank those that commented on the previous one. It means more than you know.