Chapter Five

A few days passed when Athanasia came back with Felix. Marie had noticed Athanasia's change of attitude, becoming anxious and distant. She can see that Athanasia is afraid of the emperor, her father.

She couldn't blame her. She was a child, after all, and hasn't met her father since she was born. A child shouldn't ever feel this way about their parent.

"Mama, do I really have to go?" Athanasia said as Marie helped her get dressed.

"Yes, sweetheart. Your majesty has requested to see you." Marie said sadly, finishing tying the purple bow into her hair.

"But I don't want to go," Athanasia said quietly, looking down at her feet.

Marie sighed, kneeling to Athanasia's level, and lifted the girl's chin up with her finger, "Look at me, sweetheart. Lilian and I won't let anything happen to you. We'll be with you every step of the way."

"Promise?" Athanasia asked, reaching her pinky out towards her mother figure.

"I promise." Marie softly smiled, wrapping her pinky with the little girl.

****

"Lilian York, long time no see," Claude said bored, leaning his head on his hand.

"Blessings and glory upon the Sun of the Obelian Empire," Lilian and Marie said, bowing to the emperor.

"Who might you be?" Claude asked Marie, seeing her very close to Athanasia, who stood completely still.

"My name is Marie. I am Princess Athanasia's personal nanny, your Majesty." Marie replied, giving another bow.

She took a good look at the emperor, having never seen him before, even in pictures. He had golden hair with Athanasia's unique blue eyes. He wore a loose robe, which revealed his chest and looked unprofessional.

She didn't expect the emperor to look handsome and so youthful.

"Hmmm. I haven't been able to pay attention to my one and only daughter due to my duties at court. But still, Athanasia had grown into such a healthy child. The credit belongs to the both of you." Claude said without a care.

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Don't make me laugh!" Athanasia thought. "It's not, 'haven't been able to pay attention.' It's you neglecting me! You completely erased me from your mind!"

"However, from now on, I will be looking into the princess' well-being. There will be no need to worry." Claude announced, shocking the three.

"What?" Marie and Athanasia thought, seeing Claude smirk at the young girl.

"Starting today, Princess Athanasia will be treated as a proper princess." Claude continued, bringing further shock to the three. Athanasia moved closer to Marie, who grabbed the princess' hand behind their backs, giving it a soft caress. It made Athanasia relax, remembering Marie's promise.

****

A few more days passed since then. Claude's and Athanasia's relationship didn't change with the previous visits.

It had often been awkward watching the two interact, seeing that Claude had no knowledge about children and Athanasia being enthusiastic.

It seemed to Marie that Athanasia was more cheerful to see her father but still nervous inside.

Despite being scared of the two interacting, Marie believed that this would be good for Athanasia to see and talk to her father. As much as Marie doesn't want to admit it, Athanasia needs her father.