Chapter 22

Being Watched

Chapter 22

I watch the numbers on my TV screen with a smile on my face.

5

4

3

2

1

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I squeal and jump off the couch.

“Happy New Year!” I yell but get no reply.

I scowl at my friends who are sprawled on the floor of my TV room.

We had decided to spend New Year’s Eve at my house instead of going to someone’s party. Every year we would go to one of those parties and every year something bad would happen.

So to avoid all that trouble, we decided to spend it together at my house this time.

It was just the five of us. We bought food, snacks, and a lot of drinks. My friends drank a bit too much so they all passed out before twelve.

“Wake up!” I yell at them then proceed to kick or shove them.

“What is wrong with you?” Jack says, dragging out the ‘u’. He is so drunk.

I notice that all my friends are now awake and shooting me angry looks.

I grin. “Happy New Year!”

Their expressions immediately change from angry to enthusiastic.

“Happy New Year!” They all yell excitedly, making me laugh.

“Let’s play twister!” John suggests.

“Yes!” They all agree.

I stare at them as they try to stand up and shake my head.

“I don’t think any of you should be playing twister now,” I say amusedly. They can barely stand on their own feet!

“Live a little!” Martha says as she trips over her own feet.

I roll my eyes. “Fine, let’s play.”

This will be fun, I think as I take the board.

“Left hand red,” I tell Jack and the game starts.

Fifteen minutes later, I watch as my friends yell at each other and desperately try to untangle themselves from each other.

 “Ow! Jack!” Carla yells when Jack punches her stomach as he tries to free his left arm.

“Sorry!” He slurs, finally removing his left arm from the mess and falling on his back. He giggles like a little girl, making me laugh.

Two minutes later, he starts snoring as he passes out again on the floor.

After five minutes, I can finally see John, Carla, and Martha separated.

“That was fun!” Martha says, sounding like a kid.

“But now I’m so sleepy,” John says and suddenly, his head is on my lap and he closes his eyes.

“Oh no, you’re not sleeping like that,” I tell him. “I don’t want you drooling on my legs.”

He giggles. “I won’t drool!”

“Uh-huh,” I say, not believing him, as I lift his head up.