Chapter 14

Being Watched

Chapter 14

“Everything okay?” Andy asks when he returns from the candy kiosk.

I just nod because I’m too busy thinking about what just happened. I’ve been waiting for a long time to hear Jeremy say that he likes me but I didn’t expect his confession to end up like that.

“It’s him, isn’t it?” Andy asks.

“What?” I say, confused.

“Jeremy,” he explains. “He’s the guy you’re in love with right?”

Instantly, I feel guilty. I look away from his eyes and stare at the roller coaster as I chew on my cotton candy.

“Right?” He asks again and I nod slightly.

He doesn’t say anything so I look back at him and find him staring at some of the rides.

“I’m sorry,” I say in a barely audible voice.

“Don’t apologize, Steph. You don’t choose who you fall in love with,” he said, smiling slightly and I grinned.

“You’re perfect, Andy,” I say honestly. I can’t believe that I know a guy like Andy and I still didn’t fall for him. Seriously, he’s so perfect! He’s sweet, smart, honest, kind, caring, rich, and good looking. What more can a girl ask for? Any girl would be heads over heels for him by now. Any girl other than me because I have to be in love with the guy who likes me but can’t be with me and can’t even give me a reason for it!

He laughs. “I know,” he replies jokingly and I hit his shoulder lightly.

Thankfully, he doesn’t bring up the Jeremy thing again that night. For the next two hours, we ride all the rides and some of them more than once. We also eat a lot of food and laugh a lot. It’s nice to have a friend like Andy.

I see Jeremy a couple of times but try my best to avoid him because I don’t want to think about what happened tonight.

Andy drops my off at home around 11:00p.m.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he says and I frown at him.

“Really?” I ask and he laughs.

“You promised you’ll go to church tomorrow,” he points out.

“Oh,” I say, “Right. I’ll see you tomorrow, then.”

Back in my room, I pout as I turn on the alarm on my iPhone. I’m not really looking forward to waking up early tomorrow just to go to church.

I go to sleep as soon as I change out of my clothes because I don’t have much time to sleep.

The next morning, I reluctantly wake up and put on my clothes. My parents are surprised when they see me going down the stairs.

“Going somewhere?” My dad asks.

“To church with you,” I grumble as I grab a cup of tea.

“Really?” My mom’s surprised voice says after a moment of silence.

“Yeah,” I reply and my parents both grin as if they had just won a million dollars. Weirdoes.

When we get to the church, I notice that it’s the first time I enter the church. I look around in amazement at the beautiful, huge church. The ceiling is high and the walls are all white with several pictures of Jesus, Mary, and Saints on them.