Chapter 19

No one got much sleep for the next two nights. We spent every second we had training and preparing for the attack. I knew that Jubal thought he would catch us unaware, but he wouldn’t. We had pack members stationed where they should be, so all that was left was to try to get as much sleep as possible.

Friday morning dawned and found Ghost and I standing almost a half a mile apart. He was with most of the pack near the boarders while I was standing outside of the bunker. Dean was in the bunker protected by Dell and Rivers, and on the outside, seven hundred of his best pack members. There were almost three hundred watchers in the sky scouting for any sign of Jubal and his traitorous group. Suddenly, just as the sun peeped above the trees, a signal came from the watchers. They spotted Jubal.

Head’s up Ghost. Jubal’s almost here and he brought an army with him.

We’re ready Hale. Just relax. Rolling my shoulders, I peer into the forest. Jubal’s mine, Ghost. I don’t care about the others, but I want to take him down myself.

If he gets past me, he’s all yours Hale. It was like someone turned the radio on. Sounds of fighting grew closer and louder until we could see them running towards us. I watched as the king’s men stood their ground and waited until the enemy was right before them. Suddenly, they sprang forward, biting, tearing, and killing. I stayed where I stood, only killing those who attacked me first

I had just killed a black and red wolf when an all too familiar scent filled my nose. Looking around, I watched as Jubal and my father stepped from the trees. “Tamar, come home with me and this will end!” Jubal calls out over the fighting, but I growl at him. My father was looking at me with love, sorrow and disappointment. He shouldn’t be disappointed with us Tami…

But with himself. I finish the thought for Lilly as I growl louder. “Jubal Hill, you’re committing the highest act of treason against your king and using me as your excuse. But I’m here of my own free will, and I would die before I left with you.”

“So be it.” He came running towards me and I shifted. As the change shot through my body, I smiled. Everything except for him faded into the distance. We started circling each other, and instantly I found several weak spots. Jubal lunges and I snap at his throat. He manages to pull away at the last second, but I still bit his neck hard enough to draw a little blood. And the fight was on.

My dad would shout at Jubal to stop, or for me to step down, but I refused to listen. This wolf was a threat to not only my life but the life of my king as well. Both Lilly and I was ready to die if necessary. The sun rose higher in the sky and we were still fighting hard. While both of us were wounded and bleeding, neither was ready to submit. Suddenly, my mom raced by me and I did the unthinkable, I looked away. Jubal lunged and grabbed my throat.

I felt his teeth slice through like a knife through butter. He shook his head roughly, tearing large patches out. My blood gushed out of the wound as I collapsed. Before my eyes closed, I thought I saw Dean race out of the bunker and across the field, plowing straight into Jubal. I could hear the dying screams of the Lotus Rock pack as the King’s Men slaughtered them. It sadden me because my parents were some of the ones dying, but I felt no remorse. They chose their path just as I chose mine.

The fighting was now almost over, and silence once again claimed the forest. I could faintly here Ghost calling my name, before the world’s most captivating scent filled the air in front of me. Darkness was quickly invading my sight, but just as I gave in, I heard Ghost speaking in Latin. I fought as hard as I could to stay awake, but I was steadily weakening from the loss of blood.