Chapter 13

I laid there not believing my ears. Lilly, how can Dad be alive? Alpha Hill said that he and Mom died during the war.

I’m not sure Tamar. But I can tell that they are your parents. I zoned back in their conversation.  “Tamar told me that her parents died fighting in a pack war when she was 15. How are you her parents?” Dean asked his voice sounding cold as steel. “We were captured, and the alpha found two bodies that looked like us but they had been mutilated beyond recognition. Since they were dressed in our clothes, and had a little of our scent on them, they were thought to be my wife and I.

“We’ve been held captive for the past 11 years. One of the wolves guarding us managed to help us escape and we’ve spent the last two years looking for our daughter. Three days ago in France, we heard in the wolf vine that your Captain went by the name of Hale, so we thought we’d come and see if it was our Tamar.” Suddenly, the sound of sirens filled the hospital. Rivers rushed in, breathing hard. “Sire, rouges breached the northern borders. We need to get you to the bunker right now.”

“Bring these two along and place a guard in front of Tami’s door.” Dean barked out as they were ushered from my room. The door was locked and I heard two of my warriors stop outside of my door. I was dazed, confused, and wishing that I was able to fight. I heard the sound of my window breaking and the stench of rotten eggs and death wafted through the room. And that’s when it hit me; the breach had been a diversion.

The rouges wanted me but I couldn’t figure out why. I was unconscious and I would never work with them, no matter what lie they would try to sell me. My loyalty lay with my alpha, my king and no one else. I would never betray Dean or my pack. And I would die before I gave them the answers they wanted from me. There were seven rouges in my room; each seemed to have their own job to do. Three stood guard at the door while one gathered up my things and the last three hurriedly unplugged me from the i.v. and heart monitor.

I felt myself being picked up and carried out of my room. The sound of the heart monitor flat lining became farther and farther away as the rouges ran. Lilly and I were both fighting hard to awaken my body, but it didn’t respond. I could smell that we were getting closer to the border and I panicked. I didn’t know if I could link with Dean or Dell, but I had to try.

Dean, Dell if you can hear me the breach to the northern border was a diversion. The rouges broke into my room and kidnapped me. I’m not sure where exactly we are, but we’re almost to the border. Protect… I felt something hit my head and the darkness swelled stronger around me. Then I ceased to know anything that was happening to me.

I don’t know how much time had passed until I opened my eyes to find myself standing in Dean’s office. My father, Rivers and Dean were standing over a table looking at a map of the territory. Dell was looking out the newly replaced bay windows. “Rivers, I want you and the seventy-five warriors to take the western border. Hale, I would like for you to join my Gamma on the eastern border.

“Every two hours Rivers and Cordell will report back to me on the progress. If anyone finds anything, we’ll meet back up in front of the house and together we will attack. Rivers, I want you to tell the pack doctor to be ready to leave at any time. When we find her, chances are that she’ll need medical help right away.” Dean glances at Dell and then nods for the others to leave. Once the door shuts behind my father, Dean walks over to Dell.

“She’ll be fine Dell. Tami’s a fighter and she won’t give up.”

“I surely hope so Dean. I miss her; and I regret that I didn’t get her to understand that I love her and would never reject her.”  Dean sighs and places a hand on Dell’s shoulder. “Don’t worry Dell. We’ll find her and you’ll be able to tell her. Now, go take her father and search the eastern border. Don’t forget to check back in with me every two hours or when you find something.” I watch as Dell nods and walks out of the office. Dean makes his way to the cabinet and pours a glass of bourbon.

Making his way to his desk, he sits down and pulls up a picture of the three of us. “Tami, pleas, fight; don’t give up. We need you, Dell and I.  Come back to us alive, please.” I watch shocked as tears stream down Dean’s face. Suddenly, I feel someone hitting me and the scene before me disappears.

I jerk away to find myself chained by silver handcuffs to a single bed in a cell. My wrists had red circles where the silver in the cuffs were burning me. A single light bulb was hanging in the middle of the room. Standing in front of me were four rouges. Once they saw that I was awake, the slapping stopped. “The boss will be glad that you’re awake little one. You’re no use to us asleep.”

He leans closer to me and laughs as he grabs my hair in his hands and jerks my head towards him. “If you’re good and listen to us, maybe the boss will let you join our little pack. What do you say about that little one?” Pain was shooting through my scalp, but I just grit my teeth and head butted him. “Listen carefully to my words mutt.” I spat at him, my words dripping with malice. “I will never turn my back on the oath I swore to my king. There’s nothing you could do that would make me become one of you. I’d rather die first.”

The rouge slaps me as laughter comes from the hallway. Turning my head, I watch as a man steps into my line of sight. “Well little one, we just might have to do that if you don’t do as we ask of you.”  Looking him dead in the eye, I smile. “Well, you best get to it then mutt. Because there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that you could do to me, that would make me betray my pack.”

The rouges in my cell quickly exit as their boss, their alpha, steps in and walks towards me. “Well now my dear Tamar. I see that as a challenge, and if there’s anything I love in this life, it’s a good challenge.” He steps closer to me and I feel the body in my body turn ice cold. “And I should tell you that I love winning those challenges any way I can.”

Suddenly, I grinned at him. “Well, I suggest that you get to trying. But there’s something you should know.”

“And what’s that little one?”

“My alpha won’t stop looking for me. He’ll have every available wolf out looking for me. And when they find me, and I know they will, they’ll kill every single one of you mutts. They won’t leave a single one of you alive.” He started to hit me, each punch landing harder than the previous. I felt it when he broke several of my ribs, but I bit my lips to keep from crying out.

He threw his last punch, throwing more weight into it. I could feel unconsciousness sneaking towards me. As my eyes fluttered closed, I watched as the man walked out of the cell and slowly cleaned his hands of my blood. Pushing the oncoming darkness back, I struggle to sit up and look at him. “Don’t get to comfortable with this quiet mutt.”

A small fit of coughing hits me and I double over, covering my mouth with the sleeve of my shirt. As I pulled my head back I saw a small patch of blood. Spitting some more blood on the floor, I look back up at him. “Your time alive is coming to an end. I suggest you make the most of it. There’s not much of it left.” Another coughing fit hits me and I collapse back onto the bed.