Chapter 2

The alpha shifted and walked towards me, along with three of the warriors. “Shift!” He demands, but I just tilt my head and whine at him. “Alpha,” one of the warriors speaks, “Maybe it’s just a normal dog. We’ve never heard of a were-dog before.” The alpha looks at me again, and I whine softly. One of the warriors steps towards me.

“Sit.” He commands, his voice a tad bit softer than the alpha’s. Before any of them could blink, I sat down and barked at them. “Well, I’ll be…” The alpha says softly. I could tell he got an idea because his eyes light up. “Come here.” His voice softened as he squatted down. I walk towards him slowly, eyeing the others beside them.

“He sure is a beaut isn’t he alpha?” I growl softly at him as the alpha slowly petted me on the head. The alpha chuckled and stood up. “I think he is actually a she.” I bark once and they laugh. The warrior closet to us stepped forward like he was going to pet me. I step back and growl softly at him. My growl didn’t faze him however, so when he kept reaching towards me, I snapped at his hand. He drew it back quickly as the alpha laughed.

They turned and started walking back into the woods. The alpha looked at me and started walking with them. I whined softly and he faces me. “Heel.” He says and I race towards him. As his laughter filled the air, his men turned to see what he was laughing about. “I tell you now Alpha, that dog is a one man dog that’s for sure.” I bark softly at the man and move closer to the alpha. He reached for my bag, but I jerked my head away.

He reached for it again, but I kept my head out of his reach. As we slowly made our way back to their pack house, the alpha was trying to figure out a name for me. At each of his suggestions, I would snort or shake my head no. When he was just about out of names, I spotted a lilly growing in front of us. I trot over to it and bark. He came over and kneeled beside me. “Your name’s Lilly?” He asked quietly and I bark several times.

The next several months passed by so quickly that I almost lost track of time. At night, when everyone in the pack house was asleep, I would shift back to my human form, take a bath and eat. Then I would shift into my wolf and go for a run, while making sure I kept my scent hidden. I almost got caught once, but with Lilly’s help, I managed to stay undetected. The pack children fell in love with the dog form, so I allowed them to touch and pet me. But if any of the grownups tried to touch me, I’d growl softly at them. Only the alpha, Greg, and the children were allowed to touch me.

Greg would spend his mornings in his office, and then he would travel around the pack checking on the members and making sure they were doing fine. He would allow me to go with him for the most part, but there were days when he made me stay behind. On those days, I would play with the pups. My bag was well hidden in his room.

More months passed by in what seemed a blink of an eye. My sixth year in Rollins found me living with the Lost River pack as their pack pet. I knew that I needed to start training again, but I wasn’t willing to take the risk of being found. That was until I found a hidden cave behind the waterfall. It took me several weeks to some of the equipment from the gym to the cave without being caught. Once I had enough equipment in my hidden spot, I would go there at night and start to train again.

In my head I could hear my dad coaching me again. It made me smile and slowly the ache I felt with them not being here with me start to fade. The warriors complained about the missing equipment, but Greg just bought them replacements. Each night that I trained, I felt myself getting stronger. I needed to work on my wolf as well, but at the moment I couldn’t risk it. Two weeks after I started training again I was lying in Greg’s office listening to him talk on the phone.