CHAPTER FIVE . UPON THE TAINTED SNOW

"Nos nostrae sortis."
we create our own destiny

"we create our own destiny

SWEAT GLISTENED ON your forehead as you stepped onto the bridge that acted as a gateway to Wangshu Inn. An unexpected storm earlier in the day made the weather muggier, the air was stifling and arid. It had hindered your travels but you had finally arrived. You wiped the beads of sweat aside, dragging your fatigued body towards the inn.

There, at the base of the inn, stood Aether and Paimon who were looking up in awe. "So, this is Wangshu Inn... Oh— Aether! Look! It's Salpine!"

Aether's golden hues landed upon you, a smile lacing his lips as he waved to you.

As you walked over to Aether and his floating companion, you felt a sharp presence gazing upon you.

You froze, looking up to the balcony of the Inn before Aether called for you. "Is there something wrong?"

A chuckle escaped your lips as you shook your head. "No, don't worry about me. Let's go meet this adeptus, shall we?"

"Eh? How did you know there was an adeptus here?" Paimon asked, floating around you.

"I did some asking around." You smiled, looking up at the floating fairy.

"Asking around...?"

You nodded, sparing Aether a side glance to which he immediately picked up on. To a member of the Snezhnayan Fatui, knowledge was everything. In the back of your mind, the question of whether or not Childe was also aware of the locations of the adepti nagged like a writhing echo.

"This place doesn't look like the place an adeptus would stay..." Paimon commented as you and Aether climbed the staircases of Wangshu Inn.

You chuckled quietly in amusement. "This guy is pretty elusive. Seldom does anyone ever catch a glimpse of him."

Paimon floated to your side, circling around your head. "Salpine, you know a lot about the adepti, huh?"

"I've heard the rumors of the Conqueror of Demons hanging around Wangshu Inn. He basks in the moonlight, watching as the skies drift above Liyue. He uses the byname of Xiao." You mused, humming before glancing to Aether. "How were your interactions with the other adepti?"

"They're..." Aether pursed his lips together, pressing them into a thin frown. "Interesting...?" You laughed at his response.

In the perspective of an Outlander like Aether, the animal forms of said adepti must be rather strange to accommodate. Not to mention—speech capable animals who can cause cataclysmic catastrophes to occur with ease.

With each step upwards, you felt a nagging sense of dread build within your heart. Adepti were all-knowing, omniscient, and powerful. To see through your guise would be a simple feat for them. It was whether or not they choose to reveal your ruse to Paimon and Aether that will determine such fate. In the midst of your pondering, it intrigued you on how Aether and Paimon would react to you being a former Harbinger, their enemy. Aether was well aware of your former ties with the Fatui but he was not aware of your title.