CHAPTER TEN . GOD COMPLEX

"Quod non erit, dixit flevit."
what cannot be said will be wept

"what cannot be said will be wept

HIS COLD, TRUTHFUL words of resolution echoed through the room. A loud condemning silence followed afterwards, deafening the two of you. Star-crossed lovers stood apart from one another, just within grasp of the other yet the rift between grew further apart. He couldn't walk away from the cold, hard truth. Childe wasn't a man who backs out on his promises. Not to mention, he is fiercely loyal to the Tsaritsa. He believed himself to be a candidate worthy to sit on the throne of gods— his own hubris.

Golden lambency flickered over Childe's figure, casting a fiery halo above him. Deep, oceanic eyes resembling the coming of a stalled tempest stared at you in absolute objection. A primordial sea washed over the two of you, as if only the two of you existed on the earthly plane. Childe, he is your final judgement. He stands before you as an angry god, furious and hurt by your choices. His judgement was to be casted upon you for your adamant tenacity to call on his flaws. A god he may be in his domain, but Childe is not immune to imperfection.

"Ajax..."

His name fell from your lips like dripping venom. Childe was your weakness, your Achilles' heel— you knew that yet, you couldn't stray away from tragedy.

"(y/n), I will give you one more chance to walk away from me! You're not a Fatui anymore! Go live that life you've given away for the sake of others!" Childe yelled, shoving you away from him. You stumbled back, staring at him in disbelief. Hours ago, he assured you of protection, of love and of sympathy.

(Is every promise he spouts a disgusting, beautiful lie?)

"How could I walk away from this?! You're going to destroy all of Liyue!" You hollered back, voice trembling. It baffled you of how blind he had truly become, in pursuit of more power— he was willing to give it all. Give up everything for the sake of obtaining what he desires; praise, worship, and honor.

A broken chuckled eluded the Harbinger's lip as your words reached his ear. "You've always been stubborn... Damn fool... you know I have to kill you if I fail my mission..."

His words caused your chest to tighten, your blood to run stale and cold. Each breath felt heavier than the last, you breathed with great difficulty. Your chest heaved, waning towards salvation.

(Did he even care of failing his mission? Of killing you? Or has his crazed megalomania finally caught up to him? Or... has he always been like this?)

You took two steps towards him, reaching out for him.

"Ajax—"