CHAPTER SIX . WINGLESS FLIGHT

"Et alas habebat quasi curta furcifer"
the clipped wings of a villain

"Et alas habebat quasi curta furcifer"the clipped wings of a villain

EMBERS SAT BURNING all around your feet; the remains of a former monastery laid in ruins. Destroyed, like the kingdom it belonged to.

Khaenri'ah was a nation unloved and forsaken by the gods. A broken kingdom befitting the loss of refinery and glory as cataclysms tore through its barren ground. You were tasked with finding the Abyss Order who had strong ties with Khaenri'ah after the fall of the Eclipse Dynasty. Though the Fatui had little interest in the lost world that was Khaenri'ah, the Tsaritsa deemed the expedition useful in terms of discovering truth behind the Abyss Orders who may interfere with Her Majesty's goals. Your mission was to seek out an abyss herald though the likelihood of finding one amidst the scenery before you seemed slim at best.

Dust and debris littered across the earthy ground, the broken buildings and homes laid waste. Several fallen Cryo abyss mages were left dead in the center of the monastery.  A strip of scorched earth surrounded your feet, decorated with bloodied arrows. In your hand was a strung bow with three arrows nocked to the string. Your eyes shot from side to side, looking for the whereabouts of this creature.

A crumbling of debris reached your ears, immediately alerting you. Pivoting around, the arrows' tip ignited into a brilliancy of hellfire as you held the bowstring drawn and pointed at the origins of the sound before your eyes met Eleventh's.

"Woah— woah! You're not trying to kill me, are you?" Childe held his hands up, a nervous chuckle escaping his lips as you lowered your weapon, the flames extinguishing.

He approached you with a sigh of relief, placing a hand firmly on his hip. "You glared at me so venomously, I really thought you're going to kill me."

"Don't be ridiculous," you scoffed, rolling your eyes at him. He joined your side, looking at the fallen abyss mages before the two of you.

Childe whistles in amusement, smirking. "Oh? I guess you didn't need any help after all."

"Why would I need your help?" You spat at him, putting your nocked arrows away in the quiver that rested on the side of your body. A quick glance revealed to you a rough estimate of twenty arrows remained.

"It's dangerous here. Plus the Tsaritsa clearly believes that you're not up to the task since she sent me to monitor you." He chimed, strolling past you. His eager eyes landed on the mages before turning to you. "Well? Have you found the thing yet?"

"No. There's no signs of it either," you scowled at him before allowing your bow to dust away in a golden shimmer.

"Hm, this is rather curious indeed." He hummed, his thumb hooked under chin as he closely examined the defeated mages, cerulean eyes squinting in close inspection. "Well, I suppose we should return—"