CHAPTER NINE . ICARUS' REVERIES

"Atrox melior dulcissima veritas Mendaciis"
the bitter truth is better than
the sweetest lie

"Atrox melior dulcissima veritas Mendaciis"the bitter truth is better than the sweetest lie

CHILDE'S WORDS LEFT you in a stupefied state; dumbfounded and shocked. You couldn't but think that everything he has done up to this point was all real, absolutely genuine. His gestures, his love, his words, and his touches— everything was veridical. Which only frightened you more as the words that left his mouth seemingly became reality, nonfiction. He was sent to kill you if he were to fail the mission to save his own head.

(When it came down to it, would he be able to be the causation of the end?)

Absolution was melancholy between the two of you. Words of forgiveness for lying to one another floated above the two of you. Moments before how he was reassuring you of your body, of everything you're worth and more but it was evident— the gap, the spatial rift between the two of you has yet to be mended.

(At this rate, would anything be rectified?)

"Are you upset at me...?" Childe's voice echoed in your mind. You didn't know how to respond. What you felt wasn't anger nor ire but you weren't enraptured by his previous notions of love either. Sheer, blind incertitude engulfed you in its embrace— the darkness ensnarled you in toils of romance.

"What other things are you hiding from me?" You asked hoarsely, eyes fixed on your clenched fists.

Reveries are nothing more than fleeting, delicately woven fantasies. This dreamt up fanciful notion of love was nothing more than fairytale. What love that remained was borderline fiction— nothing truly remained. Your heart did not possess the capacity to love another and he did not possess the true understanding of sympathy to cusp you at the peak of chivalric romance as you had hoped he would. There was too much of a rift. He who stood chained to the earth per Her Majesty's puppetry and you who fell languishing in the embrace of the sun. Epiphanies of which the rose of ardor had withered away no longer exists.

(What love that remained in you had died a long time ago.)

Childe went hush, his once prideful head turned downwards. Ultramarine hues glimmered with the sentiment of shame through the flickers of inferno. "I cannot say."

It was your turn to cast judgment upon his acts of dishonesty and deception. You as the sun that he revolves around. Hellfire and storms that threatened to fall upon him.

"What is going to happen to Liyue Harbor, Ajax?"

"I cannot say."