Slytherin Party, Part I

The Slytherin common room had been transformed into a high-end nightclub, full of spinning shadows and dappled lighting. Partiers danced to the pounding music on little floating platforms or in a cleared space ringed with strings of lights. Multicolored coils of steam swirled up from small cauldrons. This was nothing like the Slug Club's gracious, candlelit setting with its roses and floating orchestra. The common room's large window to the Black Lake cast an eerie glow, with merpeople undulating on the other side of the glass.

Hermione's pulse responded to the beat of the music, her breath quickened, and her gaze swept the dungeon for a familiar flash of platinum hair. Draco was nowhere in sight, but there was Blaise, holding a square bottle of sirenscotch. His black suit was practically a tuxedo, silk lapels framing a white shirt and black tie.

"Welcome," Blaise said, white teeth flashing. His dark eyes lingered on Ginny long enough to make Harry stiffen, but Ginny ignored them both, her attention drawn by the merpeople. Blaise tried a new tack.

"Hermione," he said. "You are quite the temptress tonight."

"You just like the color," Hermione said, smiling up at him.

"I like all of it." Blaise handed the sirenscotch to Harry, not taking his eyes off Hermione. Harry bobbled the bottle and nearly dropped it, glaring at Blaise. Ginny just looked amused.

"Dance with me, Hermione, please," Blaise said, and Hermione allowed herself to be led away. Blaise had, after all, been a good friend to Draco since Narcissa's arrest.

"Strange time for a party," she said to Blaise, trying not to blush. This wasn't waltzing in the Potions dungeon. Blaise's hands were on her hips and he ground slightly to the music. Hermione did her best to follow along without becoming too embarrassed. She cleared her throat and focused on Blaise's silver, snake-shaped tie pin. "There's little to celebrate these days."

"I know, but Pansy insisted," Blaise said. "She and Astoria said it would cheer everyone up."

"Things must be bad if Astoria is cheering people up."

Blaise lowered his head to whisper in her ear. "I love that sharp tongue of yours."

Hermione snickered at his suggestive tone. In some ways, Blaise was a wind-up doll like Astoria. She looked around Blaise's shoulder at her friends: Neville was handing out glasses; Harry was pouring the drinks and doing a bad job of it, since he was glaring over at Blaise at the same time. He spilled sirenscotch on Lavender's dress, causing her to squeak in outrage, and Ginny rolled her eyes and pulled the bottle from Harry's grasp.

"Are you going to ask me about Draco?" Blaise breathed in her ear, hands traveling up her ribs.

"No," Hermione said, pulling away. "Are you going to feel me up?"

Blaise smiled. "Don't tempt me."

"Apparently, I already have," she said tartly. "Find another way to irritate Harry."

"Oh, but this is so effective." Blaise looked disappointed, but he did withdraw one of his hands, taking hers instead and placing the other hand on Hermione's exposed back. His touch still felt rather suggestive, what with that sinful music playing, but definitely an improvement.

"I'm sure Draco will turn up," Blaise said with a smile. "He'd hate to miss you tonight."

Hermione could see Pansy now, resplendent in a draped silver dress cut low in the front and back. Neville's hand was trailing up the witch's bare spine in a way that made Hermione almost blush. Honestly, Neville was her friend.

Her gaze then landed on Astoria, who wore an off-the-shoulder white lace dress. The blonde's throat was pointedly bare of any jewelry. Astoria met Hermione's eye and the Slytherin gave a short nod, which was all the thanks Hermione was likely to get. No matter, keeping any witch out of Lucius' control was thanks enough.