Tea with Narcissa

Brace yourselves for this chapter, everyone. And I highly recommend looking at the comments, which are brilliant. 

"Lady Malfoy," Hermione said weakly, expecting the older witch to nod and walk on.

But Narcissa just looked at her, blue eyes weighing and measuring. The elegant witch wore a soft grey cloak and matching gloves and an enormous diamond pin fastened the cloak at her left shoulder. Her eyes were ringed in black and her mouth a perfect red bow.

Hermione's face, on the other hand, had been washed clean by the rain, which had also sent her hair exploding in all directions. Her bare hands were blue with cold and her jeans were wet to the knees.

"Miss Granger. You look in need of some hot tea," Narcissa said. Her words were kind, but the tone was cold. Hermione stuttered a polite objection, but found herself taken by the elbow and whisked into a nearby tea shop in seconds.

The shop's hostess collected their cloaks and Narcissa's umbrella at the door. The tea shop wasn't frilly and romantic like Madame Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, or bright and bustling like a muggle shop. This place was sumptuous, all sparkling crystal and gold gilt, with oil paintings on the walls and graceful chairs and sofas covered in blue and green brocade. Narcissa selected a tiny table apart from the rest, beneath a large window.

Once they were seated, the older witch removed her gloves and patted her hair, although not a smooth blond strand was out of place. Hermione took a moment to dry her clothes and face with her wand. Her tight hair bun had exploded into a bushy ponytail, and all she could do was gather up the extra tendrils with a red hair ribbon, which she did a bit tremblingly under Narcissa's cold eye.

"A large pot of Magical Merlin and a plate of your pumpkin scones," Narcissa told the waiter. Hermione nodded agreement—not that it mattered anyway—and tried to look pleased to be there.

"I understand you are to be commended," Narcissa said after a short silence. "Theodore Nott is a fine young man."

Hermione said nothing. She certainly wasn't going to thank Narcissa for complimenting her on bagging a pureblood.

"Such a lovely piece in the Prophet," Narcissa continued. "Such stories help promote healing after the war."

Hermione didn't see how headlines screaming "SON OF DEATH EATER" healed anything, but she nodded anyway.

Narcissa's eyebrows rose slightly at her taciturnity. This is your party, honey, Hermione thought. I'll talk when you bring up something worth talking about.

The tea and scones arrived at that moment, giving the two women something to do, at least. Narcissa was certainly right about a cup of hot tea. Hermione downed two cups immediately and felt much better.

"What brings you to Diagon Alley, Lady Malfoy?" she asked, pouring her third cup from the bottomless pot.

"A bit of shopping," Narcissa answered. She was still sipping her first cup of tea and hadn't touched her scone, while Hermione had already eaten two. "Some warm blankets, a knit hat, scarf and gloves, and a few books. Tomorrow is my day to visit Lucius, you see. Perhaps you can suggest a book, Miss Granger."

Hermione's fingers tightened on her teacup, but she managed to set it down on its china saucer without a clink. "What subjects is he interested in, Lady Malfoy?"

"He enjoys history, biographies of famous wizards. His collection of ancient texts is one of the best in Wizarding Britain. He has always had a particular interest in ... ancient runes."

Hermione cleared her throat. "Ah, well. Danbert Donalson just published Volume Six of 'Unraveling the Elder Fubarks'. It's a fine analysis of the typology and graphic variation among the North Sea cultures." She looked down at her teacup. Was she really sitting here brainstorming gift ideas for Lucius Malfoy?