Chapter 4

"JAAAAEEGGGGAAAR!"

Eren turned to the sound of his last name. It was the school's college football coach. He hustled over to the coach, who shoved a jersey in his face.

"Your Jersey." He looked at it. The number was 11. Eren nodded and put it on over his football pads. "STRETCHES EVERYONE!" The coach screamed again. Eren got into a line with his sixty nine other teammates, which filled out the team roster at seventy. They started doing their warmups. He heard moan and grunts from people who were out of shape, but Eren just did what he was told, no complaints.

Since he had no friends growing up, he never talked, and was always silent since his mother died, so he practiced a lot. He had stayed in shape with no problem at all.

After warmups, they were split up into groups, according to their positions. Running Backs, Full Backs, Offensive line, Linebackers, and Defensive line worked together. Kickers, Punters, and Long Snappers worked together. And Finally, CornerBacks, Safties, Quarterbacks, and Wide Receivers worked together. Eren was in this last group.

"Alright." An assistant coach said. "We'll be working on passing. No rushing the quarterback, we're just testing out route running skills, quarterback strength, and coverage skills. We'll be giving you all plays which gives neither side a huge advantage in the play." The coach paused. "Any questions?" No one spoke. "Alright. Cornerbacks, Fritzer, Hanley, Springer. Safties, Rodriguez, Kizer." The five people with those names ran out into the practice field. "Quarterback, Kirchstein, Wide Receivers, Jaeger and Artlet. Go."

Eren heard his name and trotted onto the field. He saw a short, blonde haired kid with blue eyes stood up on the other side of him. He looked weak, but Eren wasn't one to judge by looks. A taller, kinda stocky guy with brown hair stepped in at Quarterback.

"I'm Jean." The tall guy said.

"Eren." Eren simply said.

"I-I'm Armin." The nervous blonde said.

"What're your strengths?" Jean asked.

"Everything." Eren said. Jean cocked an eyebrow.

"A little cocky there?" He asked. Eren just shrugged.

"Just throw me the ball. It's 3 on 5, and no one can rush you. So it's more like 2 on 5. The coaches put us at a disadvantage to test us." With that, The coach came over and showed them  the play, and the got into position.

"HIIIIKE!" He picked the ball off the ground, and Eren took off. He caught them way off guard and flew past them. Jean made an easy throw, and Eren caught it. The play was whistled dead.

"Well, maybe you are good at everything." Jean said as Eren came back.

Eren said nothing.

It went like that the whole practice. Eren burned them a lot, and when they weren't paying any attention to Armin, he'd get wide open as well. It was a slaughterhouse for the cornerbacks.

Except for one.

The one known as Springer wasn't too bad. Though naive, and sometimes bit off more than he could chew, he was a pretty good corner. He made a few interceptions, and could keep up with Eren stride for stride.

Either way, practice wrapped up with everyone sulking back to their cars, or the locker rooms if they wanted to change, as the sun started to set.

Except Eren.

He walked away as if he were completely fine. He walked up to the school, and headed to the locker rooms. As he turned a corner, he bumped into someone. He put his hand down to help them up.

"Sorry. I wasn't looking where I-" He paused when he looked at the girl closer. She looked kind of familiar.

"I'm sorry, but you look familiar. Do I know you?" The girl took his hand, and he pulled her up.

"N-No, I don't believe so." She rubbed her black hair, and looked away. "Anyways, thanks for helping me up."

"Yeah, no problem." He pulled his helmet off, and let his hair fall. He felt the girl's eyes on him again.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Nothing." And the girl walked away. He sighed and headed to the locker room to undress.

...

"Jaeger!" Eren heard his name as he left the locker room. It was Jean.

"Hey Jean. What do you need?"

"Just so you know..." He came closer. "You're not half bad. I think that we could win starting jobs if we stick together. How about it?"

Eren was silent for a little while more before responding.

"Fine."

"Great!" Jean said. He pulled out a piece of paper. "Come to my dorm tonight. We can run through the playbook together." He waved. "See ya man!"

He looked at the paper.

Room 323

He put the paper in his pocket and sighed to himself. He looked up at the setting sky.

"Alright then." With that, he headed back to his dorm room.

Gonna run before someone kills me for being dead.