#9

Essence

"Fuck, shit, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late," I muttered, balancing on one foot as I tried to get my shoe on the other.

"Ouch!" My knee banged against the door, and I started limping. Great, just great. I grabbed my keys off the hanger by the door and limped to my car in the driveway.

"Ow, ow, ow, ow," I winced with each step. It's only a few hours. I can do it, right? Maybe if I speed, I'll get there on time—but is it worth the ticket I might get through? Probably not. I don't think Persephone will get mad, if she's there at least. Oh, please god, let it just be her there.

"I'm here!" I almost screamed, limping into the club. No one looked my way; people were dancing and screaming, and I went completely unnoticed. Not that I minded.

I slowly walked over to the snack bar and grabbed a stool to sit on. Oh, thank god... I thought my leg was going to fall off.

"Sitting on the job," Juli snickered, walking by with a tray of drinks in her hands. I ignored her comment and silently wished that she would drop those drinks on herself.

I pushed the stool away and stood by the counter, holding my weight up. It doesn't hurt that bad; people will think the same thing as a thing if I sit.

I leaned on my hand, placing my chin in my palm and closing my eyes. "Long day?" a voice called out, but I didn't bother opening my eyes. "The longest," I replied with a sigh.

The voice chuckled. "Wanna talk about it?" he offered. I took the time to open my eyes and take in who was talking to me. I saw a dark-skinned man with a huge smile on his face—it was contagious, and I found myself smiling back. "Hi?" I said. "What can I get you?" I asked, looking back at the snacks, avoiding eye contact. His intense stare was making me nervous.

"Nothing," he shrugged. "Just saw a beautiful girl and wanted to speak with her," he said nervously.

"Thank you," I looked down at my fingers and sighed. What now? "So, come here often?" he suddenly asked until his eyes became wide, and he realized what he had said. "Well, you work here, so... ugh, fuck." It took five seconds of silence before I broke down in laughter.

I needed to laugh. It wasn't even that funny, if I'm being honest. I just laughed until he joined in. I didn't want to be letting on any wrong intentions; I don't want a relationship or anything like that at all. But he seemed nice.

"What is going on here?" a deep voice called out. I rolled my eyes immediately; it felt like such a natural thing to do when this man was around. He always seemed to be around.

When I look at him I get caught up in his grey eyes. The state deeply into my soul before coldly turning to the man in front of me. Finally I intake his whole look. He was dressed up in a suit but without a blazer leading me to stare longingly at his biceps that flex when he crosses his arms.

"Bambina," he said in acknowledgment of me. What is with these pet names?

"And you are annoying my staff because...?" his face was serious. He raised his eyebrows once when he didn't get an answer from the man. "Because?" his voice became lower and more assertive.

"I—" he interrupted the innocent man. "I—I—" he mimicked him, and I felt annoyance start to take over my body. Why was he being so rude?

I scoffed. "Are you serious?" he turned his head to meet my eyes.

"What?" he said, now innocently.

"We were just talking," I continued.

"I should probably go," ignoring the boy beside me, I held the asshole's gaze. "Is that all you do is complain?" I asked. He didn't say anything. "Boss?" I gritted through my teeth, throwing on a fake smile.

His face filled with a hint of fury. "It's Killian," he said like he was about to lose his cool. I should be the furious one here.

So that was his name, Killian. Okay, admittedly a hot name.

"Killian," I nodded my head slowly. His pupils widened, almost covering all of his grey orbs. I took a deep breath in before turning around to avoid it. "Well, I don't care," I shrugged before taking a step forward and almost falling.

Fuck. I held the counter, squeezing my eyes shut from the pain seeping through my knee and around my leg. Perfect timing.

Shit, shit, shit. "What happened to your leg?" Shit, shit, shit.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I smiled before stepping forward again, trying to walk normally. Fuck. I limped, trying to get away from him. "So, see ya," I waved my hand behind myself in case he was still there. I started organizing the snacks casually to give off the effect that I was busy when suddenly I was off the ground and the pain lessened. "What the fu—"

"Jesus Christ, why did you come to work if you were hurt? Are you crazy?" he huffed, picking me up bridal style. I squirmed, trying to get loose. I need to work; I need the money.

"Would you let me down, you crazy psycho?" I started kicking around in his hold.

"Will you shut up? I'm your boss; you listen to me, so please shut the fuck up," his words came off calmer than expected; he had a relaxed face, and his head remained forward. A few curious glances came our way, which made me get even more annoyed at him. Where was he taking me?

"Well, since you asked nicely."

"Enough with the attitude," he shook his head slowly.

I looked around, and we were now in the back of the club and heading to a stairway.

"You're not gonna take me upstairs, right? I'm gonna break you," I said worriedly. He laughed, a wholehearted laugh. "What is so funny?" I looked at his face; he kept his gaze forward still.

"You're not gonna break me, Bambina," again with that name.

"My name's Essence," I moved around again, which caused another shot of pain to shoot up my leg. "Fuck," I hissed.

His face got hard. "Language," he looked at me, and I immediately got nervous. I looked away and broke our eye contact as he walked up the stairs and into a hallway. He stopped at a black door.

Why am I here?

"And I know," he said, snapping me out of my trance. He must have noticed my confusion as he continued, "your name... I know." Opening the door, he didn't have any trace of struggle. It was a loft.

There was a loft on top of the club?

"Nice place."

"It's not my actual place, just when I visit the club," he has more than one place?

"You seem to be visiting a lot," I said, stating the obvious.

He didn't say anything as he placed me onto the couch. "Don't move," he said before walking away. I was now left in this room alone. Great. I rested my head back onto the overly comfortable couch and sunk into the cushions.

"Ess? What are you doing here"

I familiar voice called out behind me. Wait? I propped myself up onto my arms and lifted my head so I could see over the couch.

.."Brianna?"

Helllloooo people
It's me again

This was a short chapter I know sorry but I wanted to leave a cliff 🤪

Vote comment follow
And all they jaZZzZzZzZzZzZzzzZ

Lots of love -the author