Chapter 4

I hear voices coming from the drawing room and hesitate at the top of the stairs. It's not too late to run, I mean, to return to Amy and feign some sort of illness.

"No, I mustn't be a coward!" I mumble sternly to myself. "It's just two people. It's just dinner. It's just..."

I slowly descend, but make a silent promise to myself. Before I go to sleep, I want to know why Simon wishes to push me into this society and even talks of marriage. Why can't I just stay hidden here until we find a way back home? Guests or no guests, I will find out!

Heading towards the drawing room, I suddenly hear Mr. Fairbridge laugh and it strangely puts me at ease and makes me feel more confident. There is nothing mocking or superior about his laugh and the sound warms me. I gather enough courage to enter the drawing room.

Everyone quickly stands to greet me and I almost step back. "Ah, Miss Montfort, finally! Late to your first social event, we were worried something might have happened." My uncle's words are said with a smile, so I know he means to tease me, but at the same time he raises one eyebrow a bit sternly.

"I apologize, Lord Montfort. I was reading and lost track of time." It's not even a lie, I proudly think. The fact that I wasn't reading on the Montfort estate grounds needn't be mentioned.

He gives me a knowing look, takes my hand and guides me to an older, small and curvy woman who must be Mrs. Fairbridge. Even though you clearly see the effects of age on her, she is still very beautiful and elegant. Her lavender dress indicates she might still be in mourning, even though my uncle told me the older Mr Fairbridge died some years ago. "Ahum, Mrs. Fairbridge, may I present my niece, Miss Montfort."

I curtsey. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mrs. Fairbridge."

"I am so glad to finally meet you, Miss Montfort. Your uncle has hidden you away for far too long. How lonely it must have been for you here!" She smiles amiably at me but looks somewhat exasperated at my uncle.

My uncle spares me from answering when he presents me to Mr. Fairbridge again. "Mr. Fairbridge, you've already been acquainted with my niece, of course, but I don't think you had a chance to converse before?"

"No, sir. I'm pleased to see you again, Miss Montfort, in brighter colour as well."

I hope he is referring to my dress and not my cheeks. "I'm also glad to see you again, Mr. Fairbridge. I hope my manners now are sufficiently improved for the occasion." I look accusingly at my uncle, who glances away.

"Despite your governess, I am sure", Mr. Fairbridge laughingly says.

"All this nonsense about not being 'out' yet, honestly!", Mrs. Fairbridge interjects, "We should have been able to meet you months ago! We would have been able to converse, play cards, and read together. Society around here is limited enough without young girls being locked away in their homes. And all this humbug about her not being educated enough. She seems to be very well-mannered and intelligent, Lord Montfort."

I decide to save my uncle and reply: "I'm afraid it was also my choice not to join polite society just yet, Mrs. Fairbridge. The death of both my mother and father in such a short period of time affected me quite heavily and I desired some peace and solitude."

"Oh, dear Miss Montfort! Of course, I'm sorry I even mentioned it." The genuine feeling in Mrs. Fairbridge's voice made me feel ashamed of the lie I just told her. Again it's not all together a lie. My past experiences at high school taught me that solitude is sometimes highly preferable to the company of some people and worrying about my parents also made me less inclined to meet new people. In fact, any time off from looking for a way to return to them made me feel guilty in the beginning. It still does, in fact.