Chapter 13

I know I said I would have been gone by now. But escaping wasn't as easy as I had expected. For the remainder of my time at Montfort estate, Simon had invited Mrs. Fairbridge to 'keep me company', or keep an eye on me, to be more accurate. Her only son, Mr. Fairbridge, had gone back to London already, so the kind widow was delighted to have somone to shower with regard and affection. She truly is a kind and generous woman, so I kept my disgruntlement at Simon's arrangement largely to myself. I avoided him at all costs though as I felt he had betrayed me. He seemed to be able to bear my absense with great indifference.  How could I have ever liked him, that bigotted fraud.

He had even recruited Mrs. Fairbride to aid in my coming out and introduction at court. She was trying to teach me all she knew in terms of social graces and formalities and I played along... for now. In London, my chances of escaping Simon's notice were considerably larger and I would have more opportunities to flee to America. That had become my primary objective, I'm sad to say. One thing Simon had opened my eyes to was the fact that returning to my own time was, in all likelihood, an impossible mission. That didn't mean however I agreed to his vision of my future by any means. Marriage was to be avoided at all costs. I simply refused to become any man's property, however well-meaning that man might be. In America, that land of opportunities, I might be free of Simon's and the king's plans for me. So that is where I would go.

While Mrs. Fairbridge instructed me on all the appropriate and unappropriate ways of smiling, my head was fabricating plans of escape, thinking on money and other practical issues that would help me sail away from the dead-end future this society had devised for me and all other women like me. If she noticed the coldness between me and my supposed uncle or my total lack of interest when she talked about eligeble bachelors or social niceties, Mrs. Fairbridge never mentioned anything about it. Whenever I withdrew into my own mind, she would never reprimand me, but would simple take up some sewing and wait for me to snap out of it. I had never met anybody as patient and kind as her, so I almost felt bad for keeping my feelings and plans a secret from her. There was nothing for it though, I could not risk her breathing one word about it to Simon. And those two got along so well, I'm sure he would know as soon as I felt ever so slightly confessional.

Right before the start of the season and our subsequent move to London, Simon called me to his study. I had secretely hoped he wanted to apologize and perhaps even had a new idea how we could time travel back to the future, but of course that hadn't been the case. My stomach fell when he complimented me on how well-behaved I had been with Mrs. Fairbridge and how he was certain I would have many suitors indeed to choose from. I felt so frustrated, I almost stomped my foot on the ground in anger. I caught myself at the last minute. The reason Simon had called me, was of course because he wanted to determine if I had indeed become as docile as I seemed and if he would be at risk from any unwanted behaviour in London. My escape depended on him believing I would obey, otherwise he would keep a very close eye on me all the time. So, how could I convince him of my supposed resignation to my fate?

"I suppose London will be fun even with those presumed suitors. I am looking forward to my first real ball. (As if, ugh!) And meeting lots of new people will also be nice. (Shudder.)" I avoided eye contact by looking out of the window as I spoke.

"Well... As long as you remember... You can have as much time and as many seasons in London as you like, as long as you don't do anything risky and stupid. You do remember what I said about that, yes?" His steely gaze searched for signs of rebellion in my body language. 

I forced my fingers to unclench from the tight fists I had made. How dare he treat me as nothing more than a pawn in a chess game, to be moved around and even sacrificed in his best interest! I softly exhaled, trying to get some of the tension out of my shoulders. "Yes, uncle Simon, I remember what you said about that."

"Good. All the same, you should know you are never to be in public without a chaperone. You will always appear ladylike in every way. Understood?"

I nodded. I didn't trust myself to speak. I was afraid Simon had proven to be a prime example of how a sudden increase in power could go to a man's head. I suppose he never had so much influence over others in his own time and now he did, he abused it abysmally. At that time, I wanted nothing more than to repeatedly bash his head against his desk. If only I could.

"All right, you can go." I turned around to leave. "Ah one more thing. I would like for you to practice your singing some more before we leave. You will be asked to display your accomplishments often, after all."

In retrospect, it was good he couldn't see my face then. I must have looked positively murderous. I half turned my head and nodded before making my swift escape from the study. That utter asshole! I vowed then and there to have my revenge on him. I would be sorry for the high-handed way he treated me, even if it were the last thing I did.

A small opportunity presented itself already after dinner. I announced to Mrs. Fairbridge and my uncle I would entertain them both with a song. I graciously placed myself behind the pianoforte and started playing the opening notes to 'You sexy thing' by Hot Chocolate. My uncle stood upright so fast his chair fell backwards. "Not that song, Catherine!"

He looked so shocked and enraged, I could not contain a small smile. "Allright, uncle, no need to be so easily affronted. I'll play something else." Then I played something from the right time period, but I did not sing.