Chapter 19

The opera. A place of stories filled with love, passion, jealousy, intrigue and death. A place where talented singers who trained for many years enchant us with the best of their capacities.

Or, apparently, a place of being irritated to death. By the audience's incessant chattering! God, who knew that people can cackle so loudly that the songs by experienced opera singers seem muted. I want to scream 'Shut up, all of you!' at the top of my voice, but even that would hardly register with most of them I think. All I can do is shuffle to the front of the opera box as much as I can in order to catch something of what is being sung.

To make matters worse, people don't even remain seated. I can't count the number of times I had to acknowledge someone who came to chat for a moment with Simon or Mrs. Fairbridge. Or even me, although I immediately make it clear to them I'm here to enjoy the opera, not to listen to more stupid recitals of poetry. Only Mr. Fairbridge understands this. The only time he speaks to me is to comment on the singer's talents, the decor or the storyline. Since it's all in German, he even translates some important parts for me. I'm really impressed by his grasp of the language and the content of the dialogues, which mostly remain prettily sung gibberish to me. There's clearly more to him than just a pretty face.

"Actually, it's 'The sorrowful will find joy. The lonely will find love.' You mistranslated that." I whirl around to see who's spoken and, of course, it's Lord Arrogant. We rise, I curtsey and we exchange polite greetings.

"Why does no one actually watch the opera? Isn't that why we're all here? Instead everyone keeps ruining it by speaking without necessity and moving around, going from one box to the next." I speak to Mr. Fairbridge, completely ignoring the other gentleman.

"Ouch, Miss Montfort. You wound me." His mocking smile belies his words.

"Lord Percy, you are distracting me. I wish to listen to the opera."

"All right, if you find me so distracting, I will try to be silent and unobtrusive." He leans against the balustrade. I must admit, a very flattering pose for him. He looks very handsome. His clothes are mostly black, but there are small golden details and trimmings that catch the eye. His face is directed towards the stage and in profile his features look even more masculine and powerful. No! Bad Katy! Look at the opera, now!

"Ah, Miss Montfort! My, how you are surrounded by suitors again. And how stunning you look, so... mudless." And Mr. Wolf has joined the party. Joy. We rise, I curtsey and we exchange polite greetings... again.

"Mr. Burton. I'm glad to be able to return the compliment. However, for the drama this evening, I will ask you to direct your gaze towards the stage, instead of on me."

"How disappointing", he says and takes position, leaning against the other corner of the balustrade, opposite of Lord Percy. His mischievous grin makes his eyes sparkle with glee and makes his face quite fascinating to look at. But I mustn't look at him! I am here to watch the opera after all. Even though this male mini-harem I've somehow gathered around myself makes this uncomfortably difficult.

"Miss Montfort... Ah, you're busy I see. I'll come back later." I got a glimpse of a red coat before he disappeared.

"Captain Marshall! Please join us! I had been intending to follow the opera, but it seems that's a foregone option. How is your sister? Did she recover from her ordeal?"

"I actually came to ask you that same question, Miss Montfort. My sister is well, even though she still is a bit grumpy with Captain. How are you? How is your ankle?" Captain Marshall seemed uncomfortable and held himself somewhat back from our company, as if he felt like he didn't belong and kept himself ready to be dismissed. I liked it, as it was a far cry from the arrogance the other two gentlemen standing showed.

"I'm completely recovered as well, sir. Will you come and sit with us? There's room enough since Mr. Burton and Lord Percy seem to prefer standing." Lord Arrogant turns his back looking towards the stage, but not before I see his disgruntled look. Mr Burton however looks amused at me and him, and I frown at him, not liking what he's implying.

Captain Marshall seems torn, not really wanting to intrude, but not having a good enough excuse to deny my invitation. After a few moments, he elegantly takes the seat on the other side of me. I'm now positively surrounded, Mr. Fairbridge and Captain Marshall sitting on either side of me and Mr. Burton and Lord Percy at either end of the balustrade. I feel overwhelmed with not only the eyes of these gentlemen on me, but apparently there are other spectators who believe our box offers a more interesting view than the stage. All those eyes, some just curious, others seem angry or disdainful, make me feel like I'm the bad woman in some telenovela, stealing other girls' boyfriends. I want to shout: 'take them, they're yours if you want them', but that would be a little distasteful, wouldn't it?

But wait, I could perhaps influence these gentlemen to look elsewhere. That's it! Let's play matchmaker a little. Even if it didn't work out for Emma Woodhouse, it might still work for me!

"Mr. Burton? Don't you think Miss Grant is looking magnificent this evening? Her blue dress certainly magnifies her beautiful blue eyes, do you not agree?"

"I hadn't noticed, Miss Montfort. Why, I seem to be totally oblivious to the beauty of other women at the moment." He grinned his easy, wolfish grin.

I looked at him sourly. I then said haughtily: "Of course, you are right to be focused on the opera right now, sir. But I'm sure Lord Percy must have noticed, haven't you?"

"I think her dress only highlights her insipidity further, Miss Montfort," Lord Arrogant answers dryly. Mr. Burton laughs without attempting to hide it.

"Lord Percy, that is unnecessarily rude of you!"

"Excuse me, Miss Montfort, but rudeness is quite necessary sometimes. Certainly in a context where compliments might be misconstrued as interest. I would very much like to avoid showing interest where there is none." He looks at me intently.

"Well... I..." I avoided answering him, thanks to a very welcome interruption by Mrs. Fairbridge: "Look who is here to speak to you, Miss Montfort. I believe you two know each other from your school days together?"

"Emily! I'm so happy to see you! How are you?" I stand up intending to hug her, but stop midway, conscious of my audience. I intend to curtsey, but Emily sees my hesitation, laughs and hugs me anyway.

"Katy, you look amazing! I've been doing well, enjoying the season and all that, but clearly not as well as you! We should definitely meet up and share some gossip."

"We shall, but first, let me introduce these gentlemen to you..." I made introductions and I see a look pass between Emily and Captain Marshall that I can't really place. Emily even blushes a little, but I tuck those observations away so I can grill her about them later.

"Are you enjoying the opera, Katy?", Emily asks me.

"What opera?", I answer grumpily. The gentlemen all chuckle.