Chapter 15

The next morning I'm feeling quite nervous coming down to breakfast. Before the previous year, the only knowledge I had of this time period were the Jane Austen novels I had read and as far as I remembered, there were no descriptions of a London season. None of the characters, Elizabeth Bennet, Emma Woodhouse, Elinor Dashwood had had a London season, perhaps because Jane Austen herself had never had a London season. I had read about balls of course, but still, there was a big difference between reading about something and living it.

I know of course that it's absolutely necessary for my plans to go out. I cannot stay here, in this house where I'm under constant scrutiny. However, I didn't even like to go out in my own time. Well, I didn't get a lot of invitations anyway, but still. Now I'm suddenly expected to be a social butterfly? Besides, my plans were to blend in, try to find out if anybody's thinking of travelling abroad, without being much noticed myself. Ha! The queen's words made that scenario quite unlikely.

Still, I expect my being a novelty will wear off soon enough. I just need to act boring and disinterested and soon some scandal will take the ton's attention elsewhere. Yes! That could work. Show up but don't raise any interest and just become a dull wallflower until I find a way out. Okay. Let's do that. I take a deep breath and enter the dining room, where Mrs. Fairbridge is already having breakfast, surrounded by numerous papers, which looked suspiciously like... invitations? Already?

"Ah, Miss Montfort! I meant to ask you, we have several invitations for splendid private affairs, three in fact, for this evening. Do you have any preference?"

"None at all, Mrs. Fairbridge. I leave it up to your superior knowledge which grand affair we should frequent."

"Oh, so you wish to go... good! I'm glad you made such a quick recovery from the headaches that plagued you yesterday. I was unsure whether I could answer any of these invitations positively, but there you are. Your uncle will be pleased."

"I'm sure he will be." I had just spread some toast with jam and took my place next to her. "But if I do may make my preference known, I would ask for a rather small affair? Not too many people?"

"My dear, I'm afraid this is the London season, so there is no such thing as a 'small affair' here." She took a quick sip of tea, gauging my reaction.

"Well, the smallest gathering possible then?"

"And the most exclusive... Good thinking, my dear. I'll immediately send a letter confirming our presence at the Hampton's ball tonight. How about a trip to Vauxhall gardens before that? And perhaps we could visit some acquaintances of mine before we have to be at the modiste? You remember your last fitting for your new trousseau of course."

"Mrs. Fairbridge, I do want to visit Vauxhall of course, but do we need to do it all in one day? Can't it wait until after today?"

"Of course, Miss Montfort, whatever you wish. How about tomorrow? You have some invitations of course, but we could also visit the opera? Your uncle has a really good box there."

The opera. Wow, I have never seen an opera before, not even in my own time. My parents were really adamant I should develop my musical skills, but never showed any interest in classical music themselves. I find I'm really excited for this opportunity. I could sit back in the dark and listen to the passionate and exquisite singing without any social interaction needed on my part. "I would love to go to the opera tomorrow, Mrs. Fairbridge."

"Perfect, that's wonderful, Miss Montfort. We will go to the opera then. How about the day after tomorrow? What about..."

"No, Mrs. Fairbridge. We will see about that later. Let us focus on today first. You said you wanted to visit some of your friends? Will I be joining you or not?"