two birds

a/n : incomplete oneshot so there's only angst if you squint but i decided to just let this come out the drafts after like two months maybe ?

art credits -  luckybunii on twitter
( i think it's old art however )

669 words ( minus a/n )

——

childhood friends.

niki and wilbur were childhood friends, a duo that their family and neighbours never saw apart. they'd walk around arms linked the brunet rambling about the thing currently taking over his mind while the pink haired girl listened with pure interest. she was his impulse control and he was her thrill.

their town was up high, a place only the winged or determined could be. niki sometimes wished there were more people while wilbur wished there were fewer. the pink haired girl sometimes talked about how she wished her friends from the town that held merlings could visit, the frustration clear in her voice. she'd even call wilbur a hypocrite whenever he asked why she was so focused on this one issue despite him being a siren as well as the fact he was dating a merling. whenever that happened it was obvious wilbur felt a twitch of guilt in his heart, thinking of the fact he rarely saw his beloved sally and they had to speak to each other with notes written in waterproof ink.

then sometimes he'd talk about the time where their town was much smaller and only allowed europeans, he said it sounded amazing but worried about its leader. the leader apparently cried himself to sleep and struggled keeping this small group of people peaceful due to the constant war, at some point this leader went insane and was removed from history books that were taught in school. wilbur chuckled at the fact the leader's name was william soot, their names were alike and the fact that the leader's last name was the way he ended up dying in a sense was indeed funny to wilbur. niki however ended up punching his arm for the comment about the leader's death.

whenever the duo visited the town of merling, honestly wilbur always forgot the name of the town and deemed it to be bikini bottom to spite sally, she always corrected him. the town was large yet everyone knew each other, it was underwater and niki had to wear a turtle helmet that somehow gave people the ability to breathe underwater while wilbur bragged about being a water bird. sally was the one they visited the most, a merling with features of a salmon and she was nicknamed ariel by some. she was always a joy to see and her home was welcoming with bubbles in random spots and the overall aesthetic of the place was like a library and wilbur frankly adored libraries. the ginger would always have food ready for the two and somehow it never tasted soggy, niki once called her a witch in cooking then had to deal with sally and wilbur joking about it being an insult before she said thanks with a genuine smile.

other times they visited a merling who hated water, the bloke's name was ranboo and he had the features of an axolotl, along with a unique half black and half white hair colour that was supposedly natural. the two-tone haired merling was like niki's younger sibling, he always gave her flowers whenever they visited. ranboo liked wilbur's company as well, they had a less family like bond compared to niki and his but it worked in a goofy way. sometimes ranboo asked if wilbur could stay since he could last forever while niki, even with the turtle helmet, needed air. his requests most times were denied due to the one time wilbur did stay for longer, the brunet's younger brother had gotten overly jealous and charged into ranboo's home randomly. wilbur found it entertaining but the two-tone haired bloke thought otherwise and was practically shrinking at tommy's yelling despite being taller than the blond.

then sometimes the duo just spent time meeting strangers in the town and being overjoyed whenever the stranger welcomed their random approach. like that one brunet with hair the colour of wet sand, a merling with the appearance of a cod that lived in a coral filled home.