flowers for a sadistic gardener

a/n : hanahaki disease with a lil twist

949 words (minus a/n)
tw :  toxic relationship ,  slight vomiting
technically dreambur

——

flowers can be lovely, they can smell lovely and look lovely. so being handed a bouquet of beautiful delicate blue flowers with the meaning of "true love" and promising that the other person will never forget you with hope you won't forget them. forget-me-nots simply are the symbol of fidelity. these flowers meant so much to wilbur, the flower was the one clay gave him on their first date.

"i will never forget you my precious gold, you're my one and only true love"

were the words that the dirty blond told him when handing over the bouquet of forget-me-nots. the flowers smelt like nothing but wilbur sniffed them like they smelt like everything right in the world.

the flowers were a promise, delicate, memorable and proved trust. yet they smelt like nothing, silky petals hiding the nothingness behind them. a promise with no real meaning. a promise created to be broken and to break trust but one that proved how someone couldn't forget the other because of the beautiful way they presented themself the first time you laid eyes on them. the way the delicate petals crumbled when you came close and the way it wilted when you made the choice to keep them.

true love my ass.

wilbur woke up to the cold air of the fan, his warmth— boyfriend— had gone and didn't even try to cover wil with a blanket. after arguing with himself if he should get up and attempt to be productive for a good ten minutes he sat up and yawned. rubbing at his eyes before stretching with a groan.

he looked around his room for any sign that clay didn't just leave without a trace before giving up and grabbing his phone. it turned on and showed

'2 messages from Dumb Blond 💚'

wilbur felt his heart flutter at the notification and quickly tapped it to read the messages. he felt like he forget something in that moment but chose to ignore the feeling, focusing on clay.

'i'll be back soon' 11:58am

'left my hoodie for you on the couch hopefully that's a good enough replacement for you until i come back' 11:59am

after reading the messages the brunet rushed over to the living room, eyes brightening when he saw the stupid red hoodie clay wore often. throwing it on, being thankful the two were the same size. wilbur grabbed his phone again and snapped a photo of himself snuggling into the hoodie sending it with another message,

'it keeps me warm better than you do, might leave you for it' 1:19pm

it was surprising to see text bubbles appear soon after sending the message.

'you're too attached to me to do so' 1:20pm

his words were off. they were honest but in a way that burnt like cigarettes to the skin. then wilbur felt his lungs strain, his throat clog and desperate coughs escape his lips. he rushed into the bathroom, stumbling to the ground and lifting the toilet lid to vomit out a bloody bouquet. gagging on a flower that escaped his lips and dropped into the toilet with the other petals.

that's what he forgot. the stupid disease.

clay's words were a falling domino and the garden growing in his lungs was the effect. wilbur coughed and watched as a small petal flew out his mouth. a delicate blue petal of a flower he used to adore.

forget-me-nots smelt like nothing until they're in your lungs and escape your mouth smelling like iron and cigarettes that your boyfriend won't quit. damaging your lungs the same. he knew he had only one way to cure this but he didn't want to do it, he knew the endless love confessions the two boys shared meant nothing to clay and that the safe choice wasn't available, surgery being the only option.

lose the flowers along with your feelings for the person who caused the garden to grow. all feeling for the person. the way you cared and adored the person would be stolen. was it worth it..? maybe but clay was right, he was too attached to do so. wilbur was fucking hopeless.

even if he got the surgery he knew one thing. he could never forget the feelings he had for clay. he could never lose those feelings. he didn't want to lose the warmth he had with clay.

'you're right' 1:24pm

weak hands dropped the phone to the ground and flushed the bloody petals down the drain. wilbur's eyes fluttered shut, too much blood escaped and too many petals filled his system. it was painful, every move feeling like shards of glass stabbed your insides. passing out for 19? 15? 19 minutes most likely. dried blood on his lips, snuggling into the hoodie of the man who watered the garden inside his lungs with his fake love.

wilbur woke up from his forced nap by a warm hand caressing the brunet's pale face. emerald eyes looking into his golden ones lovingly. wilbur's heart fluttered as he melted into clay's touch, letting out coughs with petals escaping his lips.

"i love you" the dirty blond said, taking wilbur into a hug. holding the weaker male gently and lovingly. making his heart flutter leading to more coughs. clay rubbed his finger in circles on wilbur's back as the boy coughed in pain, more flowers growing.

"i.. l-love you.. too.." a weak, delicate brunet replied melting even more into the sadistic garden's arms.

it was worth dying warm and in pain than dying cold and numb.

it was worth living like this for clay

or at least that's what wilbur believed.