Breathe In, Breathe Out

(Geralt x Jaskier)

Jaskier wakes up again, gasping for breath. His lungs constrict as he tries to take in gulps of air. The wheezing sound from his chest rings through the room.

The sweat soaks through his shirt as he hyperventilates. The clammy feeling on his skin becomes uncomfortable by the time his breathing is under control.

Jaskier sits up on their bed, careful not to wake Geralt. The pressure on his chest lessens with each deep breath. It happens a few times every night that he wakes up feeling like he’s drowning, as the symptoms get significantly worse at night.

When Jaskier caught a cold a few days ago, Geralt made sure they stayed at an inn so he could recover. But it soon took a turn for the worse when the fever and coughs began.

Jaskier now wakes up constantly at night with barely any rest. The fatigue and fever have resulted in a headache worse than any hangover he’s had.

For the past few days, Geralt has been the most attentive to his needs, helping him with baths and fetching him drinks and food. He often sits with Jaskier when it’s difficult to draw breaths laying down, soothing him with gentle words and touches.

Now Jaskier looks beside him to where Geralt rests in a deep slumber. He has just come back late from a particular exhausting contract.

The sudden illness does not do any favors for their coin purse, so Geralt has to take odd jobs to afford their room and supply. With the dim light from the fireplace, he can see the tire in the furrow between Geralt’s eyebrows.

Jaskier knows that taking care of him and providing for their stay is not easy on Geralt. As much as he wants comfort from the man, he does not have the heart to disturb his much-needed sleep.

The burn in his chest is too painful, so he arranges the pillow and leans against the headboard, to maybe relieve some of the tension. Sleep is hard to come with the labored breathing, and he only dozes with his airway still making this scratchy wheezing sound.

Time passes but he doesn’t know how long, with exhaustion clouding his mind.

“Jask?” Geralt mumbles in his half-asleep state, “Are you okay?”

Jaskier looks down to see Geralt rousing and reaching for him. Their hands interlace, and Geralt’s thumb makes absent circles on Jaskier’s wrist.

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to wake you.”

“Your breathing doesn’t sound right.” Amber eyes open in the dark and bore into his own with concern.

Jaskier tucks a strand of long hair out of Geralt’s face with the other hand, hoping the touch can alleviate the upset in his lover’s expression.

“I’m fine.” Jaskier tries to hide the misery in his voice, “Just needed to sit up. Go back to sleep.”

A shudder goes through his body, making the trembling in his hands worse. Geralt, as perceptive as he is, must have noticed it. Because he is sitting up to take in Jaskier’s state. Their hands untangle so he can feel Jaskier’s forehead. The worry in his eyes only deepens.

“Your temperature is still high.” He gently cups Jaskier’s cheek, wipes at a sheen of sweat, and finally massages his temple.