The Stars Will Guide You Home

((Aight so I absolutely adore writing Lambert and Eskel stuff they have to be my favourite Witchers I think they are underrated in my opinion but I can't wait to see them in s2 of the witcher! Don't worry I'm still writing the requests people gave me for stories but I taught id publish these while you guys are waiting I hope you enjoy!))

When Lambert first arrived to Kaer Morhen, almost every night, he had the same dream.

He would wake up on his own little mattress in his own little home, sunlight streaming in through a slightly broken window, and go to the kitchen to find his mom there, already busy cooking breakfast.

"Morning, Mom!" he told her cheerfully, hugging her from behind.

"Oh, hey Lamb! Already up and shining!" she smiled at him, giving him a hug back and a kiss to the head. "Can you help me set the table?"

"Sure!" Lambert answered, smiling, and rushed to the shelf to get the wooden bowls and spoons - his own one had a little bird drawn on it, he drew it himself and was very proud of it. Lambert also knew there was another bowl hidden under an old crate in the yard. A local woodworker gave it to him as a gift, and he spent his free time drawing flowers on it. That was for his mom's birthday.

After they ate porridge (corn and milk and butter, Lambert's favourite), the two of them would sit in the bedroom. Lambert's mom would spin the wool, and Lambert would play with what toys he had: a stuffed lamb his mom made him, some weird-shaped and cracked spoons, also from the woodworker, and an old pot with eyes and mouth drawn on it. He made up a story in which the pot was an evil monster who would swallow the townsfolk (the spoons), and then the brave Stuffed Lamb would save them, throwing the pot down and shaking all the spoons out.

His mom laughed at that gently. "Surely my Lamb will grow up as much a hero as this one!" she said, throwing back her black hair.

"No, mom! I'll be better! I'll build you a castle and put a zillion soldiers around so Father can never touch you again!"

His mom sighed then, bowing her head just slightly. She was sad. Lambert hated it when she was sad.

He ran to her and hugged her, and thanks everything she smiled a little.

"Wise people say the ones who do bad things get bad things back," his mom spoke softly as she hugged him back. "I'm sure he will eventually pay. And now, let us not lose our cheer. After all, even when the worst happens, we still have each other, right?"

Lambert nodded, resting his head on his mom's shoulder.

"Thank you for being here," he told her, closing his eyes.

"At least I have you. It would be so much worse without you," she whispered to him, cradling him in her arms. "You are my ray of light.."

And then, Lambert would wake up. For real this time

Only not at his home, but at the dorm number 3 of Kaer Morhen, the witcher school of Wolf, the fucking castle he hated so much.

"You are my ray of light," Lambert heard in his head as salty, cold tears ran down his cheeks. That's what his mom told him. That he was her reason to live. Her dear son, her beloved boy. Her happiness.

"You are my ray of light," was the last thing she whispered to him as Vesemir dragged him out of the house, tears filling her eyes.

***

"Lambert's having nightmares again!" Walter said as they were having breakfast in the dining hall. Only he didn't know that Lambert wasn't having nightmares. It was the aftermath of his dreams that pained him to no end.