CHAPTER III

TOM

He sat in a secluded corner of the Library, watching as the brunette trailed her fingers through the spines of the old books.

She wasn't reading the books or checking them out to read in the comfort of her dorm, or browsing through the thick, yellow pages... she was simply admiring them.

Finally, she picked out one of the books and took a seat. She cracked the book open and curled up into a comfortable position.

He caught a glimpse of the title. "The untold history of Dark Arts." A strange book for a strange girl.

He wondered why she would be interested in these types of magic. She seemed anything but dark. She was the perfect depiction of what light was to him.

She was delicate and docile, her movements were cautious.
Her hair, wild as it was, didn't look unkept. In fact, he found it quite alluring. When she stood in front of a window, the sun created an outline of her hair, mimicking a halo.
Her eyes were wide and doe-like, big pools of caramel with specks of honey in them, framed by thick, long eyelashes.
She had a strip of freckles on her small nose.
She stood at an average height, 5,6 or so. From what he had seen, she had quite a nice figure. The uniform skirt and loose blouse didn't do her justice. Neither did the scratchy cardigan ladies were forced to wear.
She was a classic beauty. Undeniably attractive. 

He'd been watching her for the last week. Following her wasn't difficult. She was always too engrossed in a book to even notice what was happening around her.

Classes had gone the same as they had the first day. They both battled to see who could answer more questions or earn the most house points. 

If he had to be honest, it was fun. For a long time, he had craved for a mind that challenged his. She was fitting for the job.

He quite liked her. She seemed trustworthy enough and she was a Slytherin. Unlike most of the female population at Hogwarts, she didn't gossip or flirt with any boy that approached her. He had determined that she would be a great addition to his knights.

Tom watched as Hermione's brows furrowed and her top teeth bit down on her rosy, bottom lip. He assumed this showed the book she was reading was quite interesting.

He chuckled as her expression darkened. How good could the book be? He stood up and walked to the isle beside her table, wanting to get a better look.

Pretending to look for a book, he took a peek over her shoulder. The section of the book she was reading was called "Unforgivables: how to cast them"

Why was she reading this? How could someone so pure be interested in something so evil? Then again, he didn't know about her past, or how she had grown up. Was she really that pure? Maybe her parents were allied with Grindelwald. Or maybe she was just a curious girl.

"Do you need anything, Mr Riddle?" A delicate voice pulled him away from his thoughts. She had turned around, and was looking up at him from her seat at the table.

"Oh apologies Ms Flamel, I hadn't seen you there." He took a step forward.

"You've been standing there for a couple minutes. Can I help you with something?" She forced a smile.

"No. I was just wondering...why someone like you would be reading that book..." He slipped it out of her grasp. "Dark Arts. How can such a pure soul be interested in them?" He gave her a smirk.

"Well, I'm not interested in casting any of these spells, Riddle. I simply think that one must understand all fields of magic, that's all." She aggressively pulled the book away from his hands. "Not that you should care about what I'm doing."