Chapter 13

Lethal Attraction is almost at 1000 votes! I hope you are all enjoying the story so far and, if you do, please vote and interact! I'd really appreciate it <3

Dedicated to __julieee ! My rock, my friend, my virtual sister from another mother from the number of things we relate to, I love you!

Chapter 13

Callista

She slumped back into Blake's chest, heaving from exhaustion. After all, pain was the fastest way to deplete someone's energy.

Blake was still tense underneath her as he shifted to situate her more comfortably on his lap. He was glaring at Gabriel viciously.

"You know she had to be punished, Blake." Was Gabriel's only comment, rubbing a hand underneath his jaw as he flexed it. Calla was quite smug about it if she was being honest. Everyone underestimated Blake, but he had a mean uppercut. She could see a small bruise forming.

Blake only growled in reply. Calla knew the consequences when she left her hotel room a while ago, yet some part of her hoped she could get away with it.

A fool's hope.

"Now, see here," Gabriel started with a drawl. "I was stopping by hoping to talk more about your little plan for tonight. Imagine my surprise when I walked into the room sans Callista Drakos." He sat down on one of the plush seats scattered around the area, his eyes trained abjectly on hers.

She only shrugged in response, breathing hard. A battle of wills ensued when she stared back at him defiantly, not backing down.

"I tracked you down, you see, though I don't know the specifics of what intel you were trying to get." He continued when it became evident she wasn't going to deign his earlier remark with a response. "Care to share?"

Calla didn't know if she should tell him the truth, and she was all the more disinclined to relay it to him after he dislocated her shoulder. In any case, there were still too many puzzle pieces that needed to be figured out, the picture was still too murky. She knew what kind of arguments he would make; she was hearing the voice of a brother she wholeheartedly wished to hear, it was a trick of her mind, etcetera.

She couldn't afford to lose any more of her credibility in front of his eyes.

"Nothing interesting to report." She raised a shoulder in indifference. "It was a waste to leave."

"A mistake, you mean." Gabriel raised his eyebrows at her.

"A mistake." She relented, despite having yet to find out if it really was. She needed to be alone to find out.

In her pocket, the USB she had poked, almost as if in reassurance, into her skin.

Evidently, with nothing else to say, Gabriel got up from his seat and strolled to the open door next to where she and Blake still sat, with her on his lap.

"I'll expect to meet you at the Lexington an hour before what you originally planned." He declared, stopping as he held onto the door handle. "You'll brief me then." He said before walking out, leaving the door open behind him.

Silence followed Gabriel's departure as Blake leaned back against the wall behind them, bringing her with him as he finally relaxed, presumably since Gabriel was gone. A familiar quiet settled between them.

"You have to go with him, don't you?" She stated more than asked, glancing up at him as she leaned her cheek against his chest. She would never admit it to herself, but she was savoring the moment to remember. It registered to her belatedly when he called her 'baby' so quietly a while ago while she was delirious with the sudden pain of a dislocated shoulder. That too, she will tuck into her memories.