CHAPTER 5

This should have been a normal evening on a normal day, I think as we sprint down the sidewalk, past Lattes, passing the picture window with all the people inside. The coffee shop patrons carry on like Agent 24 had never entered the building and interrupted their carefree cappuccinos and winter blast smoothies.

As we run, I snag Kayla's wrist, not to speed her up but to keep us together as we pass the occasional pedestrian out for a stroll on this frigid night. My mind ponders everything that's happened so far. I think about my caramel mocha latte and Kayla's tablet still setting on the bistro table. I recall she was studying for a natural history exam, one I planned to help her study for. Also, I remember the fact I should be at work right now.

As we rush past several storefronts in the downtown area, I wonder what my boss is thinking. She may have tried to call my cell phone to see where I am, but I haven't felt it vibrate against my leg since Agent 24 forced us into the dark alley.

Another thing. In response to the mysterious text message, I confirmed activation. I thought that's what they wanted. I guess I waited too long to reply, and they decided to terminate me.

That's not the end of employment, that's the end of life, I think as we hurry deeper into Coastal City.

Parked cars line the streets. Cabs and other vehicles streak by us with their headlights glaring in our eyes. Up ahead, a taxi stops, and I raise my hand to hail it, but someone beats us to it. I glance back to see if Agent 24 is still on our tail, and thankfully, I don't see him anywhere.

After several blocks, Kayla slows and stops on the sidewalk, bringing our flight to a halt. "I think that man isn't following us anymore."

"You may be right, but I wouldn't bet on it," I say, heaving for air after our encounter with the big agent.

"Do you have a car?"

I hesitate.

"Do you? It's not a hard question."

"No," I say.

"Neither do I. Maybe if we hide somewhere, it'll all be over soon and that man will go away?" She pauses and lets her eyes dart up and down the sidewalk in both directions. I smirk at her use of the term man, and how she says it with such disgust. I feel the same way about the guy. "We could catch a bus," she says without noticing my faint reaction. "They're all over the place. There's a bus stop up ahead, and they run every half hour."

I pull my phone from my pocket. There aren't any unnerving text messages or calls from people I don't know. I think about calling my grandparents, but they'd never get here in time. "It's 5:26. If we're going to catch a ride somewhere, we better hurry."

"What are we waiting for, then?"

"I wonder if we have time? What if we don't make it? Maybe we need to find a store and hide like you first suggested, act like we're shopping? There's plenty of high-end clothing chains further down the street. As long as we're out of sight, we should be okay." I wince and shrug, hoping she likes my idea.

"I don't know. I like the bus idea better." Kayla rubs her arms and shivers. It's then I remember she left her jacket at the coffee shop.

I don't ask her; I just remove my coat and wrap it around her shoulders.

"What are you doing?" she asks as snowflakes begin to fall. "You'll catch a chill. My sweater is thicker than your shirt." She pushes my jacket toward me.

"No." I stop her. "I'll be okay. I have thick skin."

"Are you kidding me? You're as lean as the track runners at school." Her eyes comb over me, pausing at my arms. "Well, I don't remember anyone on the track team with bulging biceps. Do you lift weights?"

My cheeks flush warm and I grin. I didn't want to steer our conversation back to me. I prefer to remain out of the spotlight, maintaining a low profile, sticking to the shadows of the classroom, the coffee shop, and the museum. That makes me consider what Agent 24 had said about me. He called me Agent 23. As I consider the likelihoods, I wonder if I could be a secret agent? Is it possible I could be one and not know it? No way, I'm only sixteen years old. I shake my head, garnering a look from Kayla.

"Are you alright?" she asks.

"I'll be okay, and I'll manage without my jacket." I touch her shoulder. "We should get moving before that guy shows up again." As we walk, Kayla sticks close to me.

She checks her phone. "It's 5:29. We need to hurry if we're going to catch a bus."

"You don't like my idea of hiding in a store?" My voice strains in my throat. I don't question her logic, but I think we should get off the streets quickly. Probably should call her parents or my grandparents, but who needs adults? We're teenagers. We can take care of ourselves.

"We should get as far away from the city center as quickly as possible."

She picks up the pace into a light jog. I keep up with her.

"If we can make it in time?" I say.

"We can, if we hurry. There's the bus stop. Come on."

She bursts into a run, and I kick it into gear behind her. As we reach the bus, the doors shut, but I thrust my hand into the gap to stop it from closing. The driver opens up for us to step aboard.

I stand aside for Kayla to enter, and she pays the fare for both of us before I reach for my wallet. As we're making our way to the rear of the bus, the doors open one more time. We drop into a seat, the third row from the back. I have the aisle. That's when a most unfortunate thing happens. Agent 24 climbs aboard and starts walking towards us with a leering smile draped across his face.

He sits as the bus begins to move.