CHAPTER 17

The safe-house rests on the outskirts of the city in one of the older suburbs. A walkway runs between a pair of enormous oak trees that dominate the front lawn, providing a feeling of privacy, making the property blend in with the large number of other homes. Steps lead up to a porch with a swing that funnels Kayla, my dad, and me to the front door. My dad had backed his Jeep into the detached garage, concealing his ride from passersby while also making it possible for a quick getaway.

We plod our way inside and lock the knob and deadbolt, along with the chain for added security. The door has a window with a curtain, which makes me antsy, leaving little to my imagination. I can see Agent 24 smashing his elbow through the glass and gaining entry easily. Three well placed bullets to our skulls would snuff out our existence, and our story would be over.

After Agent 24 made off with Kayla's father, we had joined my dad at the curb in front of city hall, but it was too late. The assassin's taillights had vanished on the southern edge of the city limits. We had no choice but to wait for the ominous text message that would tell us where to meet up for what would amount to an exchange. My dad for Kayla's father. Although my old man hasn't been around for years, I'm not eager to make that trade, but a sliver of me isn't against it either.

"I guess you know this, but I live with grandma and grandpa now," I say to my dad. "What about calling them to let them know where I am? And what about Kayla's mom? What will happen when she finds out someone abducted her husband?"

"First, tell your grandparents the truth," my dad replies. "But only tell them what they need to know. Tell them I'm back in town, and you're going to spend the weekend with me. Don't lie to them, it'll only lead to a windfall of trouble."

"I know what to say to my mom," Kayla says. "I'll tell her I'm sleeping over at a friend's house." She cuts her eyes to me. "My mom is so busy. She and my dad are so obsessed with politics and schmoozing with Coastal City's elite that they care little about what I do. I spend the night at Lydia's house all the time. She's my best friend."

"Good. That might buy us some time. Make sure you don't tell her anything about your dad's abduction. She'll find out about that in due time. We don't want to give Agent 24 any reason to kill him."

We both nod and pull out our phones, then wander off to different bedrooms to make our calls.

I sit on the edge of the bed and choose my grandma's contact. I wait, bobbling my head and biting my lip as the phone rings.

"Hi, Aiden," she says. "Something wrong at work?"

"No, but I have something to tell you. It's about my dad." I don't waste any time getting to the point.

There's a pause on the other end of the line.

"He showed up at work tonight and wants me to spend the weekend with him."

"What? He's gone for four years and now he pops back into town. I don't know, Aiden. This sounds so sudden."

I exhale. "I know, Grandma. Just tell Grandpa I'll talk to him later about it."

"Aiden?"

"I need you to trust me."

"But..."

"He's my dad," I say with a gravity that should hit home.

"He is your dad," she replies.

"I need some answers, and he needs my help with something important. I don't want to talk about it, but I need you to trust me. You trust me, don't you, Grandma?"

"You haven't given me any reason to doubt you before."

My eyes flick up as my dad enters the room and holds out his hand.