Sieben - The Attack

Chapter seven

The air outside on the street had grown colder as the stars made themselves visible. Eveline breathed it in. As they walked down the street, Mike glanced over at the woman. He wondered how someone could jump from two emotions as she had just a few minutes earlier. Also, how someone so small could carry so much emotion.

Mike had heard the nurse's conversation with the little boy in the hospital. He wondered if there was something after death as sweet as the place she had explained. Death wouldn't be quite as scary if that was the case. But it was likely just an old folk tale.

It was easy to envy children for their simple and easily convinced minds. They believed anything and could live by a lie without the slightest doubt. Any adult who had learned how the real world looked, would give just about anything for that ignorance.

Mike looked at the younger woman, who had to look at the ground beneath her as she walked. "I've never heard of this Nangijala before." He said.

Eveline's eyes winded slightly. Mike wasn't the most talkative person, and that he would bring up something like a dumb fairytale was surprising. She then smiled let out a tired sigh. "It's just some story one of the older kids at the orphanage I grew up in told us once."

"I didn't know you grew up in an orphanage." Mike said. "didn't you have family that passed away in Zhiganshina."

"I used to hang out there when I could, but I lived at the orphanage. I did see them as a family though." She liked to believe that she had gotten over the death of her loved ones, and anyone who saw her would think so as well, but you probably never really do.

Mike nodded and looked in front of him. Suddenly he stopped and sniffed the air. Eveline stopped as well and looked back at him, wondering what he was doing. His eyebrows frowned together and just as he turned around, fast steps were heard coming their way.

A hand gripping a shiny object, a knife, was flying towards Mike and Eveline gasped. Mike wiped his own arm up to block the weapon and then threw the person over his shoulder. Eveline backed from the falling body that landed in front of her. Her back hit something and Mike turned around quickly, alarming her that it was another attacker. The person grabbed her shoulder and put a knife against her throat. She froze and met Mike's winded eyes.

"Don't come any closer, unless you want her dead." The person, sounding like a man, said. His hand was shaking slightly, and she could feel the edge of the knife brush against her skin. He started backing away from Mike, who stood frozen, not sure what he could do.

He saw the stranger and Eveline back around a corner, and he clenched his fists. Not just was he worried for his friend, but Erwin would end him if something happened to her. He slowly began walking towards the corner they had rounded, to not lose track of them. Mike guessed that they came from the underground city and seen them exit the hospital. Medicine was expensive and very needed down there so they probably hoped they were carrying around some. But what worried Mike the most was that Eveline might be sold; when they were finished with her, that is.

When he looked around the corner, they had vanished once more, and he sprinted after. He felt the smell of them.

Eveline was struggling to keep up with the man's quick steps when she was pressed so close to him. They stopped when he thought the military guy wouldn't find them. He threw Eveline against a wall and her back arched as she fell to the ground.

He grabbed the bag she had been holding and threw it open and began to scramble through it. There were just a few books and an extra shirt. He didn't seem to be able to find what he was looking for he groaned, "where the hell is the medicine? You're a Nurse, ain't ya?" He growled and pointed the knife at her.