02 | questions

Chapter TwoQᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs

Chapter Two
Qᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs

He hadn't heard her name in centuries. Even then it was only whispers. He knew that her family had been turned into 'abominations.'

God, how he despised that word.

"What is a fabrikator?" Klaus asked, eyeing her carefully. After she used her power, he felt uneasy near her. He wasn't at full strength, and she, seemingly was.

River rolled her head on the wall as she turned to look at him, it wasn't surprising that he was already looking at her. "No need to be alarmed, I won't hurt you... unless you try to hurt me," River mused. "I fabricate illusions."

Klaus straightened his leg, grumbling slightly as he hit the invisible barrier. "Why are you here? Surely Marcellus didn't subdue you, the first... whatever you are," Klaus mumbled, slightly joking with her.

She scoffed, "Aren't you once of the first vampires?" She slightly laughed when his face fell, "That's what I thought. Marcellus only thinks he overpowered me, I can leave anytime I please."

"Then why stay?"

"Well, the barrier spell around you is unsiphon-able, trust me, I tried. You sound as if you don't want my company," River noted. Klaus immediately shook his head.

"No, I do." he whispered, looking away from River.

"Your wish is my command," River agreed, frowning slightly when he looked away. "I've got nothing better to do."

"What did you do to end up in here?" Klaus asked after a beat of silence. Talking was the only thing that covered her heartbeat, it was driving him insane.

"I killed about fifty of his vampires," River stated, way too nonchalantly. "I am un-killable so he had to stick with these rusty ass chains. I only hope they bring me some decent food three times a day."

"I doubt it, love. I've been here a while and haven't got jack."

"A year," River stated. Klaus tilted his head at her and she continued, "You've been in here a year."
It definitely didn't feel like a year. More like ten. He supposed it faired him right, being locked in a basement. River, who was reading his thoughts, didn't comment on it.

"Want to play a game?" Klaus asked. "A story for a story."

River nodded, "Only if you go first, Blue."

Klaus sighed in mock disappointment making River roll her eyes with a slight smile. Klaus began telling the story of his time in mystic falls, from the sacrifice to senior prank night.

"Stefan falling down the stairs was by far the best part," River grinned.

"Really? Not Matthew drowning himself?" Klaus laughed.

She shook her head. "That's the next runner up. I've always had a thing for violence."

Klaus frowned slightly at that. She didn't look like one for violence, but then again, neither did he. The way her hair shaped her face, ears just slightly sticking out would've easily led him to believe she was a nice person in itself. Don't even get him started on her smile. "I believe it's your turn, River," he reminded, curious to learn more about her.

She looked troubled as she thought, making him even more curious. "Can we do this somewhere else?" she asked.

Klaus furrowed his eyebrows, stopping the sketch he was doing in the dirt. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I can take us practically anywhere and I'd rather not make your acquaintance in a dungeon."

An illusion— mind game, he assumed. "Any nasty side affects, then no," he stated sternly. "What exactly will you be doing?"

She looked excited as she responded, "I like to call them mind rooms. It's similar to what you vampires can do, but no touching needed— have you ever played Minecraft?"

She was trying to make connections, but he didn't make it any easier when he answered, "No."

She scowled at him, "That's embarrassing. I wouldn't tell anybody else that. Anyways, I can just kinda put you in the room, similar to a prison world. Your body will be, um, unconscious, but don't worry. I'll be watching over you. I promise."

He figured if she had ill intentions then she would've acted on them by now. If she wanted in his mind she could have done it without telling him about it first. "Is this one of your favorite pastimes?" he asked, referring to her previous excitement.

"No, I like the feeling of using my magic. It's euphoric," she sighed happily. "Ready?"

Klaus nodded, and closed his eyes, as he didn't really know what else to do. He didn't feel anything for about a minute, so he opened his eyes, finding River trying not to laugh at him.

When his face tinted red the tiniest bit she couldn't hold it anymore, bursting out laughing. Even if it was at him he couldn't help but smile with her.

She was now wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and Klaus had on the same outfit but the patches of dirt the were previously there, weren't. The Tunde  blade, no longer embedded in his chest.

Looking around he saw that they were in the compound still, but on the first floor and not the basement. Everything looked the same except an piano and guitar sat in one of the corners. "So is this stemmed from my mind or yours?" he asked, looking back at her. She had calmed down now, but still had a smile on her face.

"Mine. I'd have to read you mind for it to be yours and that's not something that you would like," she explained as she walked around, admiring the paintings and architecture. "I've only been here once, and even then it was barely five minutes. Forgive me if something is off."

"I believe we had a deal. Back in the twelve-hundreds my parents were witches. Magic would skipped a child in my family so my younger brother, Theodin, had magic, but I didn't. He was way too smart for his own good. At ten he was doing complex spells and at sixteen he was making his own.

"I would always bitch about how he got more attention because he had magic. See, my parents were all about image, and I just wanted to live my life, reputation be dammed. The talent I had just wasn't enough. But Theo too pity on me, or at least thats what he say. He made a spell, and I agreed to be the test subject.

"It was amazing. I had a vast amount of powers," she describe vaguely. "My brother, easily jealous, did the spell on himself as well. Our parents did not like that, and kicked us both out. Never saw them again."

Klaus listened the whole time, never taking his eyes off of River. The story sounded much like his, and it made him wonder how she turned out so much better than him.

She didn't, but in his eyes she did.