13 | explain

Chapter Thirteen ᴇxᴘʟᴀɪɴ

Chapter Thirteen
ᴇxᴘʟᴀɪɴ

When River came to, she was in Klaus' lap. He had his arms around her, hugging her to his chest as he sat up in the bed. River lifted her head, blinking away the fogginess. "Where's Remedy?" she demanded.

"She's a room over. I can hear her and Hope playing," he says softly. "They like each other."

She sighs, putting her head back on his shoulder. "How long was I out?"

"Only an hour."

"You've been holding me for an hour?" She questions while trying to rub the ache out of her neck. He pushes her hand away gently, doing it for her.

He shrugs one shoulder, looking away. "I knew you had to siphon magic to wake up, but I didn't know how close I needed to be."

She smiles at him, "Thank you."

He seems to recollect himself and puts her beside him on the bed. Gesturing to the next room over, he says, "I'm gonna check on the girls. Let them know you awake." Klaus waits until she nods, then heads for the door.

On the bedside table is a glass of water, and it makes River smile at how sweet he can be. Looking around, she guesses this to be Hayley's room buy the purple shades and attached nursery.

Suddenly, she's jumped on. Small arms and legs wrapped around her. "I'm glad you aren't dead," Remedy murmurs.

"I wouldn't have died. I'm immortal, silly girl. I can't be killed."

Klaus and Hope stood in the doorway, waiting patiently for their turn. It was cute.

Remedy stands with furrowed brows. "Yes, you can. Dad says—"

"Ok," River quickly interrupts. "That's supposed to be a secret." Remedy nods, apologizing. River stands too, walking over to Hope.

"I'm River Creed, your dad's friend. You're Hope, right?" She nods. "Klaus tells me you're a witch, among other things. Can you feel my magic?"

Hope does the same head tilt that River has seen Klaus do many times, and she fights a smile. After a moment she nods. "It feels... shiny. Like a silver."

River smiles, proud. "Very good. Can I show you my silver?" Hope looks at her dad, and when he says it's okay Hope smiles.

"Yeah, I want to see."

"Hope, do you have a favorite superhero?"

She blushes, and her dad frowns at it. "I like the Spider-Man movies. Peter. I like them a lot." She says it dreamily, and River laughs a bit. Sounds like Hope has a crush on Spider-Man.

"I don't like this Peter," Klaus says. And River laughs harder.

"Come here, Hope," she says as her laughs quiet. She looks at Klaus, giving him words in his head.

I'm not siphoning Hope. Only the air.

It's one of the reasons she liked this city. Magic literally danced in the air. Klaus rolls his eyes as if saying he already knew that.

She crouched behind Hope, first showing her the magic she gathered in her palm. First, just an airy looking ball of silver, then an azalea, then the Mikaelson 'M'. When she showed Spider-Man's mask Hope squealed, looking at Remedy to see if she was seeing this too.

Lastly, she showed the emblem on the center of the suit, and Hope whispers, "Cool."

River glances at the clock. Theo was still expecting them home, a surprise waiting.

River walks to Klaus, who was watching his little girl grin from ear to ear. "Theo is waiting for us."
His gaze slid to hers and his elated look fell slightly. So slight she'd only have seen it if she was as close as she was.

"Alright," he says on a sigh. "But I'll see you tomorrow, right."

River nods.

He sighs again, more pained this time. His eyes flicker back and forth between hers as if looking for something. His palm is warm against her cheek as he tucks straight hair behind her ear. "Are you sure you're alright?"

She nods reassuringly, warming at his clear concern. "I'm fine. I promise." She grabs his wrist and turns, kissing his palm—a thank you kiss.

He feels her lips everywhere. From the crown of his head to the soles of his feet. He wants to lean into, and never leave. To stay right in this moment forever.

It was easier to control his blood lust than to resist her. His powerful, tempting minx. A seductress—something he swore by— and she wasn't even trying.

Klaus Mikaelson, killer of vampires, witches, and werewolves, killed by the immortal River Creed. He always thought his life would end with his father and a sharp white oak stake. Never that it would be a girl who didn't tremble the same way he did whenever he saw those grey-green eyes. Ones he'd sketched and painted so many times over the last few years.

His gaze is still flickering between said eyes, looking for any sign of deception. When he finds none he untangles their hands and purses his lips, giving a mirroring kiss to her palm. "I'll see you tomorrow, River."

He spins on his heels, leaving fast, but not making it awkward. He couldn't think straight when she was in the room.

He needed a clear mind if he was going to find a way to make River feel the same way he does. However long it takes.