24 | feelings and presents

Chapter Twenty-Fourғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴛs

Chapter Twenty-Four
ғᴇᴇʟɪɴɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴛs

𝐾𝐿𝐴𝑈𝑆

Despite my reluctance to get out of bed this morning, breakfast is going well.

Hope is picking around the blueberries, and putting them on my plate. I take them and smile to myself as I see her side-eyeing me.

"Hope, you had fun yesterday?"

She nods, "We played until it got dark, then got ice cream and cotton candy."

"Really?" I say surprised, taking a glance toward Hayley.

I tend to be more lax about Hope. I give her whatever it is she wants, especially treats. Her mother on the other hand is hesitant to give her large amounts of anything. I've tried to plead Hope's case, that she's just a seven-year-old, and we should treat her like one, but Hayley insists.

"Well, Remedy got cotton candy and I got ice cream, but we shared. Two spoons." She holds up two fingers with one hand and takes a bite of her beignet with the other.

I laugh, knowing that my daughter has the biggest sweet tooth.

When she's done she looks up at me, and immediately I know something's wrong. "I want to ask you something," she says, grabbing my hand and pulling me down one of the many corridors. We stop at her room, and she pushes me in before shutting the door behind us.

"Hope, what's wrong?" 

She shakes her head. "Nothing. Just..." My concern grows every time she rocks on her heels. "Yesterday, at the park, Remedy fell. She hurt herself."

I furrow my brows. "Accidents happen, sweetheart. Is she alright?"

"I don't think so, dad. She kept saying it hurt, and there was blood. Her dad carried her because she couldn't walk. That's why we got cotton candy, because she was sad."

"It sounds like it was just a little scratch. It'll heal in a few days, I promise." I smile, trying to reassure her.

She's sighs. "I know, but...I could make it better. My blood would help her heal fast like I do."

Oh. That's why she wanted to be away from prying ears.

"Hope," I say gently. "You know you can't."

"It isn't fair," she cries. "When I get hurt like that it only lasts a moment, and then it's gone. She has to wait days because nobody will let me help her."

It baffles me how she is so unlike me. She's caring and thoughtful. All of the bad traits I was scared she would inherit are nowhere to be seen in this sweet little girl.

I lower down to her level, catching her gaze. "It's not safe, sweetheart. Our family is different from the rest of the world, you know this." She nods. "It's safer for her body if it heals on its own. You want her to be safe right?"