Chapter 11

Raven's paws were beginning to grow tired as he followed Lucky up a hill. "Are you sure this is the way?" He panted, pulling up at the gray toms side once he stopped.

Lucky stared ahead, not meeting his eyes. "I'm sure. I visit him sometimes." He reassured him.

"I hope my Clanmates are ok." Raven mumbled. "They might be there for all we know. I mean we are all looking for the same cat."

Lucky scented the air. "I don't smell any cats." He sighed.

Raven tasted the air as well and realized he was right. Disappointment wormed in his belly.

Just then Lucky padded down the hill. "Come on we're close!" He called.

Raven followed as Lucky quickened his pace. "Hey wait for me!"

He chased after him as he ran, annoyance pricking her pelt.

He then skidded to a halt randomly which caused Raven to crash into him.

Raven backed up and glared up at him. "Why'd you stop?" He asked crossly.

Lucky moved out of the way. "I'd say we are here." He replied.

Raven noticed a Nofur den in front of them. "This is where Laird lives? You sure?"

Lucky nodded. "Trust me." He then started calling the orange kittypets name.

Raven looked around and tasted the air. There was no fresh scent of cat. Only stale. So Laird has been here but not recently. Where could he be?

"I don't think he is here. I mean his scent is stale." Raven pointed out.

Lucky looked down at here. "He has to be." He meowed. "He lives here. Where else would he be?"

Raven shrugged. "Maybe this isn't where he lives."

"It is." Lucky growled. "I have been here before."

Raven tipped his head to once side. "When was the last time you visited him?"

Lucky shrugged. "A moon ago." He answered.

Raven glared at him. "That long ago? Well he may have left during that time!"

"Why would he?" Lucky shot back.

"I don't know!" Raven snapped. "He could have just decided to be a wild cat!"

Lucky shook his head. "He couldn't. Everytime I ask him if he wants to join me, he always says 'I'm not meant for the wild.'"

Raven looked away. "He could have changed his mind." He told him. Just then, a strong scent of cat filled her nose. Could it be Laird?

He then noticed three shapes in the distance.

As they came into sight Raven realized they were Butters, Violet, and Cinnamon!

Lucky surged forward, standing in front of Raven, baring his teeth. His gray fur was bristling.

Raven's companions raised their hackles, flattening their ears and baring their teeth. Raven stepped forward at Lucky's side. "It's ok! They are my companions! My Clanmates!"

Her Clanmates' fur flattened and widened their eyes at the sight of Raven.

"Raven!" Butters yowled happily, bounding forward and giving him a nuzzle.

Raven purred and nuzzled him back. "Why did you let me go?" He asked.

Butters stepped back and looked down at her. "I'm so sorry! I-I didn't mean to! I hit a branch and I didn't know I had let go of you! I realized I did when I saw that you weren't with us while climbing out the river."

Raven smiled. "It's ok. Don't worry about it. I'm here now and thats all that matters." He purred. He turned to Lucky. "This is my father Butters, the gray siamese is my aunt, Violet, and the black she-cat is my grandmother, Cinnamon."

"Who's this?" Cinnamon asked looking at Lucky warily.

"Oh he's my friend! He helped me out when I fell down a waterfall." Raven mewed.

"He seems about the age of an apprentice." Violet pointed out.

Raven nodded in agreement.

Lucky looked at them. "I'm 5 moons." He replied.

"One more moon then you would be an apprentice." Butters murmured.

"So where's Laird?" Violet asked.

"That's what we are trying to figure out." Raven told them. "You see, Lucky here is Laird's brother."

"That explains why you have the same color eyes as him." Violet meowed.

"And shape of head." Butters added.

"Well where in MoonClan could Laird be?" Cinnamon muttered, tail lashing impatiently. "He lives here doesn't he? So why isn't he here?" She sniffed the air. "His scent is stale too."

"Well lets have a look around." Raven suggested. "He could be somewhere around here."

Butters nodded. "You're right. Let's look."

"Ok." Cinnamon agreed. "I'll look over there," She gestured over to where a clump of ferns lay. "Butters and Violet look over there," She flicked her tail to the other side where there were bushes. "And Lucky and Raven look at the back of the Nofur den."

Raven nodded and he and Lucky bounded over behind the den.

He looked around, hoping to catch sight of his orange fur. "Maybe he's in the Nofur den?" He suggested.

Lucky looked at her. "You could be right."

Raven jumped up on a chair nearby the Nofur den and stretched up on his hind legs to look through the window.

He couldn't see him anywhere. "Nothing." He replied, dropping down on all fours and leaping down from the chair.

"I found him!"

Raven's head shot up and he bounded over to the front of the den. Lucky following.

He noticed Violet and Butters on either side of the fluffy orange kittypet.

"Thank MoonClan!" Cinnamon breathed.

"Why weren't you in your Nofurs den? Or near it anyway?" Raven asked.

"My owners threw me out." Laird told them. "They got a dog thats why."

"Oh." Raven mewed.

Lucky padded over and nuzzled his brother. "Well I am glad you are ok."

"Do you wanna come with us to our Clan?" Violet asked. "I mean if not where else would you live?"

Laird shrugged. "Sure I guess." He mumbled. "I thought I was meant to be a kittypet but I suppose I was wrong."

"Who knows? Maybe you are suitable for Clan life." Cinnamon meowed.

"Maybe." Laird agreed.

"So where to now?" Raven asked.

Lucky lifted his head. "I know a some barn cats who live nearby. Perhaps we could stay there for a bit?"

Cinnamon nodded. "Sounds good. Lead the way."