Chapter 3

Raven bumped into something soft on his way to camp. He glanced up and saw Butters gazing down at him with narrowed blue eyes. "Well? Have you learned anything from being away from the Clan?" He prompted.

Raven nodded. This is his chance to tell him about what she saw! But, without thinking, the words tumbled out of his mouth.

"I saw a raven who landed behind me. And when I walked up to her, she flew away! I chased her but she vanished! Like a MoonClan cat or something!"

Butters sat down, curling his tail over his paws. "Well, I'm not sure. I think we need to tell Oreo this too."

Raven wasn't sure what to do. "I don't know if he'll believe me." He mumbled.

Then he muttered under his breath. "because I'm a runt that's why." He didn't think Butters could hear him. If he did he didn't say anything. Of course not. Raven thought. Typical medicine cats, only caring about prophecies!

He gazed back up at him. He then got to his paws and padded off. Surprised, Raven dashed after him.

"Wait up!" He called. "Where are we going?"

Butters looked over his shoulder at Raven and mewed. "I'm going to tell Oreo about this."

Raven bounded along at his side. "What do you think it means?" He asked.

Butters looked on ahead and shrugged. "I don't know." He admitted. "But I hope it doesn't mean what I think it means."

Raven gazed down at his paws. He sorta hoped he could go on a journey. It was better than staying at home with cats who would tease him. He followed Butters home in silence.

***

"I don't know." Oreo mumbled. Raven and Butters had told him what had happened. "Perhaps I was wrong before. Maybe it does have something to do with Raven."

Butters' eyes widened. "B-but Oreo-" He began.

But, Oreo mewed. "You can go with him. I will send a patrol with him as well." Butters still looked uncertain but, he meowed.

"A-alright Oreo, whatever you say." Raven followed Butters out of the den.

Oreo climbed up to the Highbranch and sat down. "Let all cats old enough to hunt in the rain gather here!" He yowled.

Raven saw Dash and Sapphire scamper out of the nursery. "Dad what's happening?" Sapphire asked.

Raven padded over to them. "I'm leaving RainClan." He mewed.

Sapphire's eyes widened. "Forever?" She whimpered.

Raven shook his head. "No, not forever." He replied.

Dash stood up. "But you can't leave!" He gasped.

Raven glared up at him. "Actually I can." He growled.

Dash glanced down at his paws, not meeting her eyes. "I-I'm sorry if you're leaving because of me. I promise not to tease you again." He sighed.

Raven then instantly felt bad. "I'm not leaving because of you." He told him. "I'm leaving because I have to do something."

Then, before Dash could reply, Oreo meowed. "Cats of RainClan! Raven and Butters need three more cats to go with them on a journey to recruit more cats. So, who volunteers?"

Violet stood up, her blue eyes shimmering. "I'll go, Oreo!" She mewed. Violet was one of the most cheerful and sunny cats in the Clan. She had gotten her cheerful personality from her mentor, Fritz. Raven remembered watching her hunter ceremony outside the nursery.

Raven couldn't wait to go on the journey with Violet. He wanted to get to know the gray siamese she-cat better than he already did.

Oreo dipped his head. "Thank you, Violet. Anyone else?"

Pepper stepped up at Violet's side. "I'll go." She rasped.

Oreo narrowed his eyes. "You are an elder, Pepper. You have earned your rest." He pointed out.

Pepper glared up at him. "I may be an elder but that doesn't mean I am useless!" She snapped.

Raven could see that Oreo was struggling to keep his fur flat. "I never said you were useless." He meowed calmly. Though Raven could detect sharpness in his mew. "But, I need you to stay here."

Pepper's tail lashed. "I don't want to stay here!" She spat. "I can be useful you know."

Oreo let out a sigh of defeat. "Fine." He grunted. "I give up. You can go. I will pick Cinnamon to be the third cat."

Cinnamon padded up to stand beside Raven. "But Oreo, I never volunteered!" She growled.

Oreo narrowed his eyes. "Cinnamon, don't disobey me." He snarled.

Why does Cinnamon hate me? Raven wondered. Did I do something wrong? Cinnamon rolled her eyes. "Ugh fine." She grunted.

Raven noticed Oreo leap down from the Highbranch. "May MoonClan light your paths!" He meowed to the traveling cats.

Raven then noticed Butters walk over to them with herbs in his jaws. He sat them down at the traveling cats' paws. "Do we really have to eat traveling herbs?" Violet asked.

Cinnamon glared down at her. "Yes!" She hissed. "If you want to have strength for the journey!"

Butters nodded in agreement. "Cinnamon is right. You need your strength for the journey."

I share Violet's feelings about the traveling herbs. I have never tasted them before! Raven thought, before lapping up the herbs.

He then heard Sapphire let out a wail. "No! Raven can't leave! Dad too!"

Dash nodded in agreement. "Right! They can't! Not without us!" He sobbed.

Onyx padded up to Butters. "Be careful, Butters." She murmured.

Butters nodded. "Don't worry, I will." He reassured her.

"I can't bear to lose you, Raven, or Cinnamon." Onyx added.

"Don't worry. You won't." Butters promised.

"Let's get a move on!" Cinnamon snapped. "We've got no time for goodbyes!"

Violet padded up to the black she-cat who was on edge. "Oh don't be such a mousebrain, Cinnamon! They aren't doing any harm!"

Cinnamon glared at her. "Of course you'd say that, Violet." She grunted.

Pepper got to her paws. "Cinnamon's right. We should get going." She rasped.

Sapphire padded up to Raven. "W-well...goodb-bye Raven-n...hopefully you f-find what you are l-looking f-for." She sobbed.

Raven dipped his head. "Thank you, Sapphire. I will miss you and Dash. Even if he is a mousebrain."

Sapphire let out a chuckle as Dash sniffled. "Hey!"

Cinnamon flicked her tail. "We should get going..bye!" She called.

"Yeah, bye!" Raven mewled.

"Bye Raven!" Sapphire meowed.

"Bye Dad and Raven!" Dash added.

"May MoonClan light your paths!" Onyx called to the journeying cats.

Raven waved his tail to them as a last goodbye before he followed his traveling companions out of camp.