Chapter 12

"Is the barn far from here?" Raven asked Lucky.

Lucky shook his head. "No its actually really close. Laird could have visited them if he wanted." He shot a playful look at his brother.

Laird looked confused. "Why would I want to?" He asked.

Lucky gave him a playful nudge. "Our mother lives there." He told him.

Laird widened his eyes. "Wait she does?"

Lucky nodded. "Yup." He purred. "But she has a new mate now named Claw."

Raven flicked an ear as he listened to them talk about the barn cats. He couldn't wait to meet them. Hopefully they would be friendly.

Cinnamon tail twitched. "Is that it over there?" She pointed to where there was a barn up a hill.

Lucky looked up and nodded. "Yep!" He mewed cheerfully.

Raven followed Lucky and the others up the hill and towards the barn, his pelt pricked with excitement.

They then stopped at the top of the hill in front of the barn.

Lucky stepped forward and scratched at the barn door.

A small brown and white tabby tom with green eyes padded out and blinked in surprise

Was this one of the barn cats Lucky was talking about? He said there were two.

"I've never seen you at the barn before." Lucky meowed, surprised.

"Nor have I seen you." The other cat replied.

He looked pretty young. About the same age as Lucky.

"I'm Lucky. You must be Poppy and Claw's kit?" Lucky questioned.

The tom nodded. "I am. How did you know?"

"I know Poppy and Claw, your parents. Poppy is also me and Laird's mother." Lucky pointed with his tail to his fluffy orange tabby brother.

The tom flicked his tail. "I see the resemblance. Who are the others?"

Lucky took a deep breath. "The little black kit is Raven, the older black she-cat is Cinnamon, the gray siamese is Violet, and the other siamese is her brother, Butters." He answered.

Just then a fluffy cream tabby she-cat padded up at the brown and white tabby's side.

"Lucky!" She purred, giving him a nuzzle.

"Laird is here too." Lucky smiled, nuzzling her back. Raven realized that she must be Poppy.

Laird padded over to give his mother a nuzzle too. "My housefolk threw me out so now I'm traveling with these cats." He flicked his tail to the Clan cats.

Poppy looked up at them. "So I see you have met my other son, Sammy. He is Claw and I's son."

Lucky dipped his head in greeting. "Hello."

Sammy waved his tail back, his green eyes bright.

Poppy turned to go inside but looked over her shoulder at them and meowed. "Let's go inside the barn and talk about what has happened."

Lucky nodded, padded forward and flicked his tail for the Clan cats to follow which they did.

Once the cats got into the barn, Raven noticed a fluffy brown tabby tom with yellow eyes and white paws inside.

Once he saw them, he grunted and sulked away into the shadows.

"Don't mind Claw." Poppy mewed. "He's not very welcome to anyone. And we don't usually have this many cats visiting us."

Raven guessed that made since. Claw reminded him of Cinnamon when Cinnamon wasn't very welcome towards him on the journey.

Raven then noticed that Claw had left behind a half eaten mouse.

Poppy flicked her tail. "Claw won't like it if we take his prey." She told him as if reading his thoughts. "The prey is rich here so me and Sammy will catch you all something better."

Raven nodded. "Alright." He mumbled.

Violet waved her tail in happiness. "Great!" She purred. "I'm starving!"

Poppy's gaze fell onto the gray siamese she-cat. "I can see you are about to have kits."

Violet nodded. "Yeah I know I am."

"Perhaps you could stay here till your kits come?" Poppy suggested. "It would be better for you."

Violet shook her head. "No thanks. It will be a while till they come and we don't want to soak up your genourosity."

Poppy blinked in surprise. "Ok then." She replied.

Sammy's tail flicked. "I can catch them something mom." He offered.

Poppy nodded and licked him on the head. "Of course Sammy." She purred.

Sammy turned and dashed off out of the barn.

Raven wished he could go with him to help him hunt because he knew how to hunt now. That was one less thing his mentor would have to teach him.

"You may rest for now if you'd like while Sammy is getting you prey." Poppy offered.

Raven nodded and settled down beside Butters and Lucky.

He felt himself drifting off into sleep almost at once.

When he blinked open his eyes, he wasn't in the barn anymore. He was in the forest!

Perhaps the journey was just a big dream? He raced through the forest towards RainClans camp. "Mom! Dash! Sapphire!" He yowled. "Oreo...?"

He then was beginning to lose hope when he got to RainClans camp. It was deserted!

"Raven." A familiar voice murmured. Was it Onyx? But when he turned around he saw Pepper!

"Pepper?" Raven gasped. "What are you doing here? Have you joined MoonClan?"

Pepper shook her head. "Not yet. I am with Mokey now. Watching over her."

Raven widened his eyes. "B-but you have to get to MoonClan! Or your spirit will fade away forever!"

Pepper raised a paw. "Do not fret young one." She murmured. "I will join MoonClan but Mokey needs my help first."

Raven let out a sob. "But..."

Pepper touched her nose to Raven's head. "Don't worry. I will go to MoonClan." She promised. "But you need to wake up."

Raven backed away. "Wh-what..?" He mewled, surprised.

"Wake up!" Pepper repeated.

Raven's black fur bristled in shock as Pepper kept saying it. "Stop it!" He yowled.

His eyes flew open and he found herself back in the barn. It was only a dream. He told himself.

But once he looked up he saw Sammy with a mouse in his jaws.

Raven licked his lips, his mouth watered at the fresh scent of mouse.

"You ok?" Sammy asked. "You were talking in your sleep. That's why I woke you up."

Raven nodded and got up. "I'm fine." He insisted.

He then padded over once Sammy dropped the mouse down and him and his companions began to eat.

Raven asked himself, is Pepper actually not in MoonClan now? Does she really care about Mokey that much to not join MoonClan for her?