Chapter Five: Fate

Running from fate is more dangerous than running towards it.

Hurtling through the dark trying to find light, looking up at the grey, cloudy sky and desperately searching for a silver lining. Lying awake at night and looking blankly, tiredly, at the ceiling while blinking back tears.

Life is a struggle to find balance, a struggle to feel content.

And that peace of mind, that balanced heart, is something you find with your soulmate.

Well, something you're supposed to find with your soulmate, anyways.

Restlessly, (Y/n) pushes the thought to the back of her head, willing herself to focus on anything but Lucifer and the soulmate thread that's painfully visible, stretching from her side of the table to his.

Embarrassing.

They say it's a pain in the ass to be confused, but right now (Y/n) would give anything to be oblivious. She'd give anything to know nothing about the situation she finds herself in, to be completely blinded by innocence.

Unfortunately for her, she's been gifted with the blessing of sight, which means she can not only see that Lucifer's not pleased, but can also perceive that he's sitting right in front of her. Mentally, she curses Beelzebub for taking the spot beside her. That way, she could sit far away from Lucifer and be able to enjoy her food in peace rather than feeling his icy, intimidating glare every few minutes.

His onyx eyes are analytical, their darkness dangerously akin to a black hole. No matter how many times she looks, she never sees a hint of brown or grey or another normal eye colour, they're just pitch black.

Taking another bite of her food, (Y/n) quietly observes him.

Looking closer, she notices his hair isn't completely black, the edges are tinted a pristine, angelic white. There's something unbelievably attractive about the arrogant, dominant way he's sitting, his cloak draped around his shoulders.

Inside his black sleeves, his arms flex, his cuffed wrists looking straight-up sexy. There's something semi-formal about him, like he's upholding rules but at the same time... willing to break them. It's dangerous: the fact she can't keep her eyes off him, the fact that no matter what Lucifer does, what he says, she always ends up admiring him for who he is.

"Tch."

There it is, that deep voice that penetrates her eardrums, demanding attention,

"I think it's time to go now."

Snapping out of it, (Y/n) stops staring, trying to appear nonchalant while standing up, "Uh-huh.."

"Raight nmow? (Right now)?" Beelzebub pauses to chew quickly before Lucifer can remind him, then satisfyingly gulps, "Fine, but-"

"I'm not in the mood to stay." Comes a sour reply, cutting Beel off swiftly. If the muncher didn't know better he'd say Lucifer was frustrated, but it's hard to pinpoint an emotion when you've never seen it properly before. Something like agitation swims in the secretive man's black eyes, but Beel knows can't review a story he hasn't read, or in Lucifer's case a book that refuses to open up.

Sure, he'd seen his older brother get mad at Mammon, but this was different.

That's why rather than protesting, Beel swallows down one, lingering bite and stands up, giving up on food for the day. Well, for now at least.

All three of them make their way outside, but the heaviness in the atmosphere is thicker than the fresh breeze.

It's suffocating, how awkward it is.