Chapter Seven: Underneath the Layers

⚠️WARNING⚠️ : MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ LILITHS BACK STORY.

"For the sake of his pride."

*-*-*-*

A long time ago, he read:

"It's only with the heart one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."

But essentiality is not a term to be restricted to the hearts wants and needs.

Things of desire - like happiness, for example - come alongside sadness, and the greatest fantasies come from the harshest realities. Truly, what the heart seeks is balance, not love or joy. Intense light casts the darkest shadows, and without open space there would be no shelter.

Therefore essentiality is not tied to the image of the heart, but conditioned to the subsidiary - the unimportant, the worthless.

​​​​​​​When we see with the heart, emotions are fleeting and painful.

When we see with the eyes, the image is clear and bright, although it hurts.

That's why he'd rather see than believe.

​​​​​​​​​ ​Love itself isn't an infinite emotion, and truth is actually pure theory.

Until an answer comes along, he'll dig himself further into this hole.

Even if his hands bleed red.

*-*-*-*

​​​Clenching his teeth, Lucifer taps the letter in hands rhythmically, dissatisfiedly reading her name over and over again. His dark, opaque eyes glisten reflectively in the moonlit room, a solemn expression overtaking his prior frustration.

(Y/n) (L/n).

Dammit..

It's hard to accept

Even harder to believe

And painfully difficult to trust.

Sadness, anger, indifference... love...

Expression comes in many forms, all of which Lucifer's come to neglect. Only believing what his eyes see, only accepting evidenced proof, only trusting after being given trust, all of these things that make him an absolute asset...

Are also inevitable flaws.

The wall he's put up is both a terrifying strength and a tragic downfall.

Being skeptical is a mindset easy to achieve, but difficult to retract. The further you make your way down one path, the more distanced the rest become.

Listlessly dragging his gloved fingers around the edges of the envelope, the sound of his heart hammering away at his ribcage draws his attention. (Y/n) lies on Lucifers shoulder, drooling, while Mammon lies on her shoulder, drooling but more intensely.

A blush taints his ears bright red.

Looking down, he can barely make out her features in the dark, her face mirrored in his overcast eyes, like a star in an endless galaxy.

It takes every ounce of discipline to simply admire her beauty from afar. Whenever he instinctually reaches towards her hand, he retreats in fear of attachment, distancing himself from her temptatious precense.