Prologue

They say the impossible is possible in some way.

One day you'll find the other end of your string, no matter how far it stretches.

Those miserly nights you've cried yourself to sleep will become insignificant in their loving embrace, and every time you've doubted yourself will become secondary to their praises for you. It's not just being content for a split second, it's being engulfed by happiness in every moment they're beside you.

If you'll ever feel whole, it's when they're there.

And if you'll ever feel broken, it's when they're gone.

Inner struggles become exposed, and every time your heart hurts, their's writhes.

Beating for you, breathing for you, there for you.

Suddenly you're not searching for another half or a lost part, because you know every time they tug the other end of the ribbon they need you. It can be dark, it can be bright, it can be curled or twisted, but for as long as your soulmate lives, it's an unbreakable tie wrapped around one of your fingers.

Once your soulmate dies the red thread is severed. Apparently, some people feel lost from the moment the string is gone, like some part of them left with the other side. Some feel as if it never existed in the first place, while some don't live to see the next day.

A soulmate is undeniable, shatterproof, and inevitable.

The most unpredictable thing.

Twelve years later, at the age of sixteen, the first name and surname of your soulmate is written in their handwriting. If they can't write then it's squiggly and unique, and if they're yet to write it's their future handwriting.

It's a reminder of your destiny....

One day, in some way, you both have to meet.

Whether there's tangles in the vast bond you share, the bottom line is you guys are meant for each other, a thought that both shocks the four year old (Y/n) and elates her. Destiny makes it's first mark at the tender age of four where the string materializes. Since she was able to understand the concept of a soulmate, it's an age she's been waiting to reach eagerly.

Someone to call hers, even as a child, seems like an amazing thing.

That's why, on her fourth birthday, she finds herself in quite the predicament.

Tied around her ring finger and knotted perfectly, her unbreakable, solidified, ribbon flows, only something's terribly wrong...

It's black.