Chapter One: Her Curse

-----------------------

Fast Forward Exactly Twelve Years

Moonlight beams into her room, sheaths of gentle rays entering through the parted curtains. Cold air drifts it's way in, pleasurable shivers going up her spine with each gush. Her diary sits on her lap motionlessly, the pages fluttering every now and then when she shuffles.

The night feels still.

Completely calm.

Click-clack, click-clack

A low ticking sound beats from the clock her mom hung up a few days ago, time passing by each second she blankly stares at the book in her lap.

An old entry glares back at her, the one from yesterday, and she knows if she flicks to another page another one will be waiting. Everyday she finds herself in the same restless position, attempting to frivolously waste the night she struggles to sleep through. Once her pen hits the paper she can scream and cry without anyone hearing her, without being forced to hear anyone. It's her thoughts and her all alone....

Crazy how she used to think being alone was a curse....how she used to force herself to adapt for other people....

She shuts her diary in defeat, her fingers clasping the cover.

She didn't want to think of that - not tonight. I mean she is trying to be positive and look at the non-existent silver lining. Tomorrow is her sixteenth birthday, and although it also means...well....that will happen, it's also the day she gains an acknowledged year of age, so she should be happy, right?

Gliding over the smooth leather, she carelessly let's her fingers dance over the elastic binding to take her mind of things.

But that's when she sees it.

Her curse.

Wrapped and tied to startling perfection, yet a seal of fate all the same.

Her red ribbon of destiny.

Only....it's not exactly red.

It reminds her of the darkness of night before stars light up brightly, the bleakness of life before someone gives it meaning. It reminds her of remorse, and she has no idea why she wants understand the grief woven through each black thread...

Standing up, she breaks the intense staring contest that engaged her, giving the string one last glare before glancing over at her window.

She blinks.

She's done that 15-20 times per minute, and every time she's opened her eyes the next second, but this time it's different. This time the world seems the fade away and, although her eyes are closed, she can sense that she's no longer sitting. It's like she's suspended in time, stuck in some sort of infinite purgatory.

She can't open them, her eyes.

Oh shit.

She couldn't be dead, she surely couldn't...but this was nothing like living, nothing like a nightmare nor a dream. Living was painful and cruel, but here her heart was filled with nothing. No regret or sorrow, just emptiness. A dream could take any form, but whatever was happening to her was something she knew her mind could never conjure.

It felt real.

Too real.

Her soulmate.

Wait, why?

Why even now?

Why was she thinking of someone she'd never met, someone she shouldn't care about since there's no existing relationship?