Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Home

You kept your head out the car window to feel the fresh mountain wind blowing against your face and took a deep breath. Akira offered some chocolates to you and Kabane and of course, you accepted.

"You sure seem to be enjoying yourself, aren't you?" Inugami pointed out. "And this isn't an excursion, " Shiki reminded.

"Shiki, congratulation. You're going to see your parents, " Kabane congratulated. "It's not like I'm going to get to see them. We might be able to track them down, that's all." The point of your 'trip' today was to find possible clues about where Shiki's parents might be. Where better to start than his hometown?

"The place where we're going is where you were born, right?" Akira asked. "And we're going to meet up with your uncle there."

"Yeah. Before I came to stay with Inugami-san, I lived in the city with my uncle. And before that, I lived around here with my mom."

When you reach the small town, you explore the place right away, starting with the various shops present. "I'm going to the inn to get us settled. You guys do whatever you want to pass the time, " Inugami said.

Akira dragged the rest of you with him to the nearby souvenir shops. "Hmm, which one should I get?" You grab the small pink purse with white flower patterns and show it to Akira. "How about this one?" Akira gently takes it from your hands. "How cute!"

You see Kabane pick up something as well. "Found what you like?" You ask. "It's some kind of book." You read the title written on the side. 'The Legend of Nishikigumo.'

"Oh, that's a famous old folk tale around here, " Shiki informs.

You and Akira go to Kabane's side as he read the story aloud:

"Once upon a time, not too far from here, there was a poor young boy by the name of Shige. One day, as Shige was returning home from work, there was a spider going through the food at his place.

The kindhearted Shige shared his food with the spider, saying 'There isn't much here, but make yourself at home.'

The next day, when he awoke, beautiful golden spider webs extended throughout Shige's run-down shack. Shige sold the spider silk, became rich, and lived happily ever after."

"A typical end for childrens' story, " You comment. "You'll find stories like that everywhere." Shiki went silent. "Shiki, is something the matter?" Kabane checks. "No...That kid was looking me over hard," He claimed.

"Huh? That's surprising. I didn't think you were the type that children found endearing."

"I know right. I always thought they'd get scared when they see your face, " You add.

"What did you say?!"

Right after Shiki's outburst, Inugami entered the shop. "Oh, here you are. Shiki, I just happened to run into Tademaru-sensei. It's a little earlier than we planned on." A man popped out from behind him. "Hey, Shiki, long time!"

"Uncle!"

Shiki's uncle then led you to a more isolated place near a stream in the forest. He sat down on one of the rocks and introduced himself. "Let me start from the top. I'm Tademaru Akio. I'm Shiki's father's younger brother. I'm also a bit of a folklorist."

"Folklorist?" Akira inquiries.

"A scholar."

"Huh? Amazing!"