Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Memories

There it was again.

Their voices.

More specifically, Kabane and Akira's voice.

The last thing you could remember was confronting the boy, who you presumed was Akira's brother, and then everything went black. You couldn't see anything or move any part of your body. You were stuck in your position.

You could, however, make out Akira and Kabane's talking and shouting but even that was getting quieter. Were they fighting? What was happening? You wanted to get out of that state.

Then, you felt heat on the tip of your fingers. It spread to your palm, to the arm, to your chest and finally throughout the rest of your body. You could feel the liquid dripping down your body.

You regained your senses on your limbs. You moved your arms, trying to swing them and broke the now thin surface of ice covering your body. The rest of it broke down as well. A little numbness remained on your legs and you collapsed on the ground. Ignoring the pain, you try to get up. "(Y/N)." Kabane comes to your side and helps you get up. "Thanks."

"What happened? Where are we?" You ask. "We're inside the ice shrine. Akira's brother froze us when we faced him, " Kabane informed. Ah, that's right. "So then–" You look behind and gasp as you see the still frozen Inugami and Shiki.

"Are they okay?!" You check them to see any possible signs of life. "I don't know but Inugami-san is strong so there's a high chance they are, " Kabane answered. "I guess but isn't there a way we could get them out of here?"

"I'm not sure how but maybe we can try the same way you did, " Kabane said. "Oh right. However, I'm not exactly sure how I did it either. Maybe it's related to my kitsune powers, my flames most likely, " You ponder.

"Mister..." A voice called out. You and Kabane turn back to see the AI plushie Mihai had make for Akira. "Mister, I need a favour. Please allow me to finish Akira's uncompleted tasks." Kabane picked up the doll and it gave you instructions on what to do.

You take the packets of salts and pour them over the frozen Inugami and Shiki. "Now, please stuff me someplace where I will be held tight." You squeezed it between Inugami's arm. "I am four per cent mechanical, so I can contribute some degree of heat."

"I get it. Thanks."

"By the way, Kabane, where's Akira? He should be in this place, shouldn't he?" You question. Kabane didn't answer right away. He looked sad before he responded to you. "Akira told me that he doesn't want to return to the office. He's going away with his brother."

You were shocked and took a few seconds to process what he said. "Akira...said that? That doesn't seem like something he would say. Did something happen?" You ask in disbelief. "I'm not sure but he didn't seem like he was lying either, " Kabane said.

The two of you stayed quiet. "My, my, you two, seem down, " A familiar, but I unwelcomed voice said. You recognized the person as Inari and got away from her right away. "Are you all right?" She asked with her sickly sweet tone.

"Inari-san."

"Long time no see!"

"When did you get here?" You ask.

"You don't have to be so wary of me. It isn't the lifestone that I'm here for this time. I'm here to retrieve the nullstone. You two will help me, won't you?"

"Huh?"

"No, I'm sorry, we..." Kabane stuttered.

"Akira- kun doesn't have anything to do with this. I'm suggesting this for your own sake. The nullstone is more than a little connected to your parents. That interests you, doesn't it?"

"What are you talking about? How can we trust what you're saying?" You interrogate.

"Let me explain, " Inari started. "The nullstone is sort of like the lifestone's sibling. If I can successfully retrieve it, you may be able to learn a little bit more about your parents."

"Do you mean it?" Kabane asked with a little doubt in his voice. "Oh? You don't trust me?"

"No. Tricking just me would be one thing, but we can't just leave Inugami-san and Shiki here alone right now."

"We're fine, Kabane, you two go ahead, " Inugami's voice suddenly said. You look towards them in surprise. "Was that you talking just now, Nii-san?" Kabane asked.

"Yes. I am delivering a message from Inugami-sama based on his heart tones and brainwaves, " It explained. "Listen, Kabane, (Y/N), " It spoke in Inugami's voice again. "Inari isn't going to take any action against us. Or...should I say, not right now, isn't she?" Inari simply smirked in response. "It will take a little bit longer for the ice to melt. I'm counting on you two to save Akira."

You were a bit reluctant on leaving them alone, especially with Inari around now but you agreed. "All right. We'll be back later." You run out of the ice castle with Kabane. "I can still smell them and I can hear fighting in the distance. Follow me, I'll lead you to them!" You announce.

"Okay." It seemed you'd have to fight with all your might today.

A/N:-

A/N:-

Wow, today's chapter was short, sorry. ;(