Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Family

The old woman, now known as 'Ohana- basan', let you inside the clinic after confirming Inugami's identity. Shiki carried his mother inside. Ohana led you to one of the empty patient's room where Shiki placed his mother down on the bed.

Ohana hummed as she checked up on Kumi. "How about it, Granny?"

"It's probably something psychological. She's had a terrible hard time of it, right? I've seen many patients like this."

"She's gonna wake up, though, right?" Shiki asks, concerned.

"Don't worry. I'll brew up a nice analeptic herbal treatment for her, " Ohana reassured.

"Okay."

"E-Excuse me, but are you a Kemono?" Akira inquired.

"I'm obviously human! What a rude kid you are!"

"Ohana-basan started out as a veterinarian, you see. In the course of treating wounded stray dogs and such, though, she ended up treating Kemono, as well, " Inugami explained. 

"All life is life, no matter what it is. You must have been through a lot. You all look exhausted. I'll let you use some patient beds so stay the night here, " Ohana suggested. Akira jumped on the opportunity and even asked for a bath.

With Shiki watching over Kumi, the rest of you went to bed. Tired from the previous fight you fell asleep fast.

In the middle of the night, you were awoken by Aya's crying. You rush into their room to see Kumi had awoken and stood by as you watched the small family hug each other, laughing and crying.

When morning came, you were planning on leaving but that's when Shiki decided to inform you of his decision. "I'm going to stay here for a bit."

"Huh?"

"Mom still isn't back at 100 per cent yet, and I have a family now. I have to rethink what I'm going to do now. I mean, there's no way we can get by on what I make now."

"H-Huh?! You mean, Shiki, you're going to quit being a Kemonoist? No!" You were all as shocked as Akira was. "We should all live together at the office!"

"Hey, come on, it's not a communal house."

After some reasoning, you had to leave Shiki behind. It wasn't clear if he was going to leave the office or not. But...it didn't seem very likely he'd return either...and with that a week passed by.

"Hey, soup's on!" Inugami called.

"Thank you for this food." You begin eating the noodles with eggs Inugami prepared. "As it happens, I had a job come in. I have some business to take care of, so I'd like you three to handle it."

"The three of us?"

"All right."

"Sure."

On cue, you all looked towards Shiki's seat, sort of reminiscing. "It's kind of dull around here without Shiki, " Akira spoke up. "Is Shiki ever coming back again?" Kabane questioned.