7 - 𝕳𝖔𝖑𝖉

The next morning I felt a lot better than before, as I spent the rest of the day resting with Childe

The next morning I felt a lot better than before, as I spent the rest of the day resting with Childe. Although the harbinger tended to be a bit noisy, he was still decent company. Zhongli always lingered in the corner of the room, and he would intervene if the harbinger ever got too touchy.

I pondered Zhongli's strange actions but decided not to question them no matter how much Childe complained and grouched about the house. That afternoon I was drinking tea with Zhongli in peaceful silence.

Since the man had taken care of me I grew slightly more accustomed to his company. His calm attitude and constant patience was reassuring as well as the fact that no matter how much I bolstered him he listened without judging. The scent of chamomile wafted into my nose as I took another sip of the warm tea. Over the course of the past day I had learned that Zhongli has a very keen liking for tea. He practically only drank it except for before he went to sleep.

I cleared my throat to get his attention. "I think we should go. I would not like to overstay our welcome nor miss the opportunity to speak to Xiao before the Lantern Rite."

Zhongli's voice was deep and raspy with morning drowsiness as he said quietly, "I was thinking the same thing. Childe is being a little extra compared to my other visits and I can not figure out why."

"He is?" I decided to try to lighten the mood a little to prevent the situation from becoming awkward. "Well, he sure isn't a great host then, burning himself straight out of the first hour."

Zhongli's chuckle was low and rumbled deep in his throat. It was mystifying how unique it was compared to other men. He placed his gloved hands on his lap gently and glanced out the window. Morning sun reflected onto him and tickled his long eyelashes as he closed his eyes. "Let me rest for just a minute."

I hummed as an answer and then stood up to go over to tell Childe the news of our departure.

When I walked in, he was shirtless besides a white apron that was tied loosely around his waist and a pair of boxers. His muscular arms were even more outlined than they were in his normal wear. As he cleaned the dishes his back muscles flexed and receded.

Why is he almost naked?! I blushed furiously and cleared my throat to notify him that I was there.

Childe whipped his head around and glared at me curtly. "Learn to knock!"

"There isn't a door here, dumbass," I laughed and walked over to him, trying to ignore his noticeable lack of clothing. I have also noted that he does not seem to notice this either.

"So, uh, me and Zhongli are going to take our leave really soon," I told him.

Childe froze. "Ah, I see. Why the rush, if I may ask?"
"I suggested it and Zhongli said that it would be a good idea because-" I remembered his initial reaction and decided to fib, "because Xiao will be busy all throughout the Lantern Rite and I want answers as soon as possible."

Childe suddenly turned towards me and stared at me with intensity. It was really hard to take him seriously when he just had on an apron with a horrid painting of a ruin guard painted on it.

"Is getting answers always the right thing?" he smiled and looked at me with both rue and regret. "Sometimes I ask myself that. Isn't it better to blindly follow logic than to pursue trivial factors?"
"Thank you for your care," I turned to walk away.

BANG!

A plate clattered onto the kitchen floor as Childe grabbed my arm. His harsh grip would not budge when I tried to pry my arm out. His warm fingers brushed against my skin and made me shiver. He pulled me back.

The next second, arms enveloped around me.

Warm.

I let my arms fall loosely to my sides, not embracing nor declining the boy. With all my might I wanted to push away, but I just couldn't do it. He clutched my small frame against his and held me closer seeing I wasn't resisting. One hand clutched my back while the other stroked my hair gently.

Childe unwrapped himself from me and gave me a small smile. "Hope you feel a bit better now. You seem down in the dumps."

"Yeah, I guess I've been a little worried about Xiao." I murmured, feeling embarrassed. "I've never really considered the possibility that he won't be there or he won't want to see me or Zhongli."

He smiled at me and then held my hand tightly. "Number eleven of the harbingers, codename Childe, promises that he will be there to kick his ass if he doesn't show up for you."

"Why do you care?" I scoffed at him whilst smiling a little.

"I think you're cute," he shrugged, "a good enough reason in my opinion."

He let go of his grip on my hand.

"Well, even if it's a little disingenuous, thank you," I turned to wave at him, "thanks a bunch, Childe. Try not to die."

He smiled softly and waved back as I turned the corner and left him standing there. And just as he always was, Zhongli was waiting for me with a patient smile. His hair was more neatly kept as his silhouette glowed, completely different from that of the harbinger. He looks like a real god standing over there.

"Let's go?" he offered a hand.

"Let's go," I smiled, brushing past his hand and walking out into the shining light of Bishui Plain. The warm sun kissed my face as I embraced the journey that was ahead.

And just like always, Zhongli was right behind me.