𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

"it's like taking candy away from a child

"it's like taking candy away from a child."

***

PORCO CAME TO THE DISCOVERY THAT EVELYN ENJOYED READING. After two days, he found that she had been reading two different books.

He recognized them the first time he saw them. Porco actually recalled that she had left both books out on the coffee table before.

But that was months ago.

He came to the consensus that she needed more books. Chances were she was rereading the books she had now.

"I'm going to the bookstore, do you wanna come with me?" Porco asked as he collected his items.

Evelyn looked over at him from the sink where she was washing a bowl of grapes.

"Bookstore? I've never seen you read." she said.

Evelyn still had her flat tone, but Porco realized that he was just going to live with it if he wanted to get anywhere.

"Well, maybe I feel like reading something. Are you coming or not?" he asked.

Evelyn sighed and left the grapes by the sink.

"Let me put on shoes."

Porco was beginning to realize that this was in fact, a massive mistake.

He had now learned something new about Evelyn, she liked to read.

Well, he didn't know if she liked to do so, but she just could as if there wasn't a tomorrow.

The poor man had been in the Barnes and Noble for three hours now. His feet hurt, it had begun raining, and they were going to close in thirty minutes.

Evelyn was sitting in the middle of the mystery aisle with a stack of books next to her. She was currently reading something she had plucked off of the shelf.

"Evelyn, we need to go, they're closing soon." he said somewhat loudly.

"Quiet down, we're in a book store." Evelyn said, not looking away from the book.

"Very funny, Evelyn, we have to go." he said.

"One more chapter, I'm almost done with this one." she said while waving him off.

"That's basically shoplifting." he said while looking around for cameras.

Porco had taken the stack of books next to her and walked away without Evelyn even noticing. When he returned he leaned down next to her and looked at the book.

He took note of her page number and nodded.

Evelyn nearly shrieked as the book was snatched out of her hand. She immediately stood up and reached for it.

"Porco, give it back!" she said as she reached up for it. Porco wasn't particularly tall, but he was tall compared to Evelyn and found himself able to hold it too high for her to reach.

"Quiet down, we're in a book store." he said.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and jumped for the book. She failed to reach it and Porco held on to her wrist.

"Come on, we're leaving." he said.

"Fine, just give the book back. I don't know my page number." she said as they walked along.

"I do, just wait for a bit." he said.

They arrived at the checkout counter where all of the books she previously had were stacked up. Porco put the book she was reading on top and the man behind the counter began scanning all of the books.

"Wait, what-"

"Just take them home. You can read them there." he said.

Evelyn reached for her wallet when the man finished scanning, but Porco's card was already stuck inside the machine.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Paying? They're not free even if you read them all here." he said.

Evelyn was confused. Was Porco just willingly going to buy her eight books? She never asked him to and he never explicitly mentioned that she could get whatever she wanted.

But here she was with a paper bag full of books in her hands, sitting in the passenger seat of Porco's car.

"Thank you." she said as she looked down at the bag.

"Yeah." he replied.

Evelyn reached into the bag to finish the book she was previously reading. Before she could pick it out, a slap was dealt to her hand.

"Porco, what-"

"It's dark in the car, you can't read in here. Just wait."

Evelyn crossed her arms and looked out the window. Porco could tell that she had no patience.

"Fine."

Evelyn was up for hours reading book after book. Porco panicked for a moment, wondering if she was going to finish reading everything in such a short amount of time.

But he realized that she would most likely end up rereading them until she was actually tired of them.

Porco was beginning to notice something.

Evelyn had a calming presence. She was easy to be around and spend time with. Maybe it was because she was mostly silent and still, Porco didn't know.

But he knew that he liked it. He should've come this realization when it was simple to just live with her.

His roommate really was the best roommate he could ask for.

author's note:

short chapter today, burnt myself out writing three yesterday. will be back soon with more.