Ch. 12.3: Operation: Plastique

As we walked up the steps of the church, or as Rev. Abelmarch called it, the 'Holiest of Holies,' the militiamen beside Abelmarch- the one who left to get the doctor for Mo-Lester came back just as we arrived- went to the big doors in front of him and the rest of us. They opened it slowly, whether because they were as heavy as looked or they did it for dramatic effect, I didn't know at the time. When they got them opened, they bowed to Abelmarch as he walked on; they kept bowing as the rest of us entered it and closed it behind us. The interior of the church wasn't as dark as its exterior was: there was a fair amount of light coming from a few lit braziers, variously placed candles and the light coming from the windows. However, it was indeed just as somber: for example, there wasn't much in terms of decoration, the wide pews that you'd expect to find in a church looked old and very uncomfortable, the braziers emitted an odd smelling odor, and the aforementioned light from the windows contained the shadows of the bars; giving the place an extra gloomy look to it.

SLAM!!!

I turned my head to see that the doors had been closed by the same guys who opened them. I gulped a little from its foreboding effect, then looked forward again.

When we got closer to the pulpit, however, I saw that the church's main decoration was the centerpiece that made everything else about the place look cheery: behind the pulpit wasn't an alter or any religious symbol that I am familiar with; instead, there stood a great, black, bizarre looking wall. When I say that it was black, I don't mean it was painted black; I mean that it was built with a black stone that didn't look familiar to me. It had similar characteristics to that of obsidian to the untrained eye. However, it couldn't have been obsidian; it didn't have the sheen that obsidian has. Also, by 'bizarre,' I meant that the architecture was unknown to me; it would have been considered alien even in the streets of Omniopolis. Architecture isn't one of my strong suits, but the closest thing that was remotely similar to the style of this would be that of Oriental style of many versions of many Earths' versions of Asia. However, the angles and the ornamentation on the ends were all wrong. I'll let your imagination handle the rest from there, dear Readers.

As I got closer, I recognized that wall from the picture of the sacrifice from their file; only without the weird light coming from the other side. Not a replica of the wall, but the exact wall. How I know the difference is a long story but remember that the agent that took the picture came back the next day and reported that they found no trace of the wall ever being there. As a citizen of the Multiverse, I've always had to keep an open mind when it comes to some stuff; you just have to do the same as you keep reading, dear Readers. It was also the same shape as all the medallions that the Bulwarks were wearing, but that kind of goes without saying.

Abelmarch stopped and turned to see me looking at the wall, and I looked at him as if I wasn't gawking at the wall.

"Don't be embarrassed, sir," he said with a chuckle. "The First Wall has that effect on all those who see it for the first time."

"By the way that you just said that," I replied before clearing my throat, "I take it that that wall is what you say it is. Or at least believe that is."

He chuckled. "Sir, when one walks the path of the Holy Man and of the Prophet as I do, one has to believe everything one says." He turned to look at Norah, then added without any warmth, "You will get a closer look and more soon enough, abomination." He turned around and kept walking to the front. His words made Norah visibly shudder.

When Abelmarch made it to his pulpit, he turned around and held his arms wide open. "Now that we are inside the Fellowship's Holiest of Holies, have a seat, Agent," he said, grandly, "and I shall tell you of the ways of the Fellowship of the Divine Bulwark!" I moved Norah to sit with me in the front pew and made her sit down before I did. Auclair and his militiamen simply stood at attention around the church.