Ch.13.1: Home Sweet Apartment; or, Introducing my (Fabulous) Roommate

"So, where are we going now?" Norah asked me as walked to the door to leave Sylvie's lab, holding a 'sleeping' REGGIE in her arms as she did. It was a few minutes after Mik, and I returned from Bastion. I had changed back into my usual attire and had gotten my weapons out of the locker as I did earlier that day.

"Well," I replied softly as I turned to gently take REGGIE from her grasp, and put him in one of my pockets, "seeing that it's getting late and you've had a long suggestively long day, I'm taking you somewhere to rest."

"Alright," she said as she followed me out the door. "I am getting tired. Are you taking to a Protectorate owned safe-house?"

"Nope, my apartment." I looked at her to see that she had a look of confusion and a bit of surprise on her face.

"What, you thought that I live in the Precinct?" I asked her, sounding a bit annoyed. "I'm tired, and it's time for me to go home. And since you're under protective custody, you're coming with me."

"That's highly unconventional," Norah said disapproving. "In the FBI, SOP regarding protective custody is to take the protected party to a safe-house; not to take them to an agent's home."

"Newsflash," I said a little too sharply than I intended, "the Protectorate isn't the FBI. We do have safe-houses, but the hoops you have got to go through in order to find one that's unoccupied, and I'm too tired to do that. It's absolutely safe, in case you're wondering; magickally and technologically secure courtesy of yours truly. And if you think that I'll make a move on you in the middle of the night, one, I'm too tired; and two, I happen to believe in consent. So, in closing, we are going to my apartment, end of discussion!"

She was about to argue with me before she stopped to think, then said with a shrug, "Honestly, I'm too tired to argue. Lead the way."

We walked along the hallway in silence for less than a minute before Norah said, "I still have some questions to ask you; about what happened when you were with the...cultists." She said the word as though she was still having difficulty saying words like that from now on.

"I thought you were tired," I said with a groan.

"For arguing," she corrected me, "not for questions. Is it alright?"

I sighed. "Just until we get to the Transmat booths-"

"Oh, those booths in the bullpen where people kept appearing and disappearing?" she asked me, catching on quick. "I saw them work a few times while we were in the bullpen, and you were working."

"Yep," I replied, "and gold star for observation. Like I was saying, you can ask me anything that's germane to what happened until we get to a Transmat booth. After that, you might not be able to say anything Protectorate-related if there's anyone who hasn't been read in within ear shot until we reach the apartment. For security purposes, you understand?"

She thought about it for a second, then nodded.

"Then, ask away," I said with a nod.

"Do you think that Abelmarch guy was telling the truth about me?" she asked. "That I'm going to be some bringer of the Apocalypse or something?"

"I highly doubt that you're that powerful," I said, trying to reassure her in my own way. "Although your abilities are impressive if not unpredictable, I don't think that you have the power to do what he said."

"But what about that other group that he mentioned?" she asked me. "The one he said that also wanted me. He got pretty angry when he mentioned them."

"Yeah," I said thoughtfully while scratching my head, "I've been thinking about them. Another cult, maybe? One whose mission is different than that of Abelmarch and his xenophobic ilk? If that's true, then I'll have to learn more about them; so, I can protect you better." I almost didn't believe what I had said just then.