Chapter 9

Pauli may have been crazy, but he wasn't dumb. He knew someone had been stealing things to keep him from getting the explosives he needed to destroy the stone and he was getting very frustrated.

Chorrol and Matt could only hold him off for so much longer before they were found out. Keith told them to back down and lay low for now while the paladins tried to figure out a solution.

Lance was currently guarding the Lark stone. There were four Genopians on the outside of the doorway, also standing guard.

He was honestly a bit bored. Of course, there was the constant threat of attack and destruction, but he lived with that every day on the castle. In here though he was just standing around waiting for his shift to change. No music, no companion, no sitting...

Well, maybe he could break that last rule a little bit. He shifted his stiff knees before taking the last few steps closer to the podium in the middle on the room. He plopped himself down and let the back of his armor touch against the podium and let out a sigh. He had been standing there for an hour already and just sitting like this was doing wonders for his back.

He held his bayard gun across his lap and let his eyes wander the room for the millionth time.

There was a low buzzing in the back of his head as he looked over each of the orange crystals embedded within the cavern. There were 241 crystals in the left wall and 177 in the right one. The buzzing persisted and became more noticeable as his teeth started to vibrate.

He pushed at the feeling; it was something he had never felt from Keith before. It was curious, almost probing. It pushed further but it was like trying to interpret something through a fully frosted window- he couldn't make out anything more than curious shapes.

He tapped the com button on his helmet and hailed Keith. He didn't answer for a while but Lance continued hailing him.

"Lance is there a problem?" Keith's voice came in weak and out of breath, likely using his free time training.

"Yeah what are you doing?" Lance picked at a small scratch on his bayard.

"Uh, training? Aren't you supposed to be on guard duty right now?" Keith asked with confusion.

"I am-"

"Well you need to stay focused. Pauli could-" Keith chided.

"I'm trying to Keith but you're distracting me." Lance cut Keith off, sitting up straighter as his frustration began to rise.

"What? Lance you aren't making any sense."

"Your bond sharing or whatever, its distracting!"

There was a short huff into the com. "I'm not sharing anything right now."

Lance matched Keith's huff with one of his own. He didn't feel like sitting anymore. He stood and paced the room. "Keith, I can feel you doing it right now." As he said the words the feeling softened, this alone made Lance fume. "Look I don't care if you were sharing something but at least be honest about it." With his final words the feeling was gone completely, Keith closing himself off from Lance.

"I am being honest Lance! I wasn't sharing anything!" Keith half growled into the com. Lance just rolled his eyes and cut the communication.

Fine. He didn't care about the stupid feeling in the first place. He also didn't care if he was being petty. He was just mad that Keith felt the need to lie to him. He refused to fight over the com link though. They would talk about this face to face.

When he finally stopped pacing, he only felt tired. He still had another varga before Keith could come and switch with him and then he would have to wait another two vargas for him to be done with his own shift.