Chapter 2

"Let's go!" Shiro said hurriedly as he lead the team forwards. Red purred and Keith could feel it resonate in his mind. They broke the planet's atmosphere and flew full speed at the only Galra tower on the planet.

It was odd. From what Keith had read it seemed like towers would be unconventional on such a planet. Even now Keith was having to fight against the raging wind and low visibility of a heavy sandstorm. The tower would have no tactical advantage and was probably constantly at risk of toppling over. If this was such a low priority planet why waste resources on a tower in need of endless repairs and monitoring?

Maybe the conditions of the planet weren't always like this. His voice of reason called out.

He gripped Red's controls tighter.

"Is anyone else getting a bad vibe?" Lance's voice filled his cockpit as his face appeared on the screen washed in blue light.

"Yeah, something doesn't feel right." Pidge's face showed up beside Lance's.

"I think there is more to this planet then we originally thought." Keith guided his lion around a particularly clouded spot as he voiced his thoughts.

"Hold steady." Shiro said, continuing forwards. They had almost reached the tower. When they were about 200 meters out Galra flyers began to flood out of one of the openings on the tower. "Evasive maneuvers, help each other take these guys down!" Shiro shouted, dropping black out of the lead to steer away some of the attention from the others.

It didn't take too long to get rid of most of them. There was one close call where Hunk almost creamed Lance in his hurry to get away from the eight flyers pursuing them, but Shiro intervened just in time.

Now they were watching as the three flyers turned tail and flew off towards the desert.

Something was definitely wrong.

"They're retreating?!" Pidge's shouted shrilly in disbelief and Keith couldn't help but to agree.

The Galra motto was 'victory or death' after all.

In an instant there was a flash of blue and Lance was in pursuit.

"Wait, Lance!" Shiro yelled.

"We can't let them get away, the only reason they would retreat is if they had something better to protect!" He yelled back. Keith was after him before he had even finished his sentence, ready to back him up. The others were much slower to start after them and none of them where as fast as the red lion.

Keith was by Lance's side before the others were even halfway there.

"Lance, Keith, we've lost visual!" Shiro shouted. His voice was worried and wavering, but that could have just been a side affect of how the communicators were subtly glitching. The sandstorm was getting more powerful and was hard to even see Lance, let alone the Galra flyers they had been pursuing.

"I can't see them anymore." Lance groaned. "Keith, we should pull back and wait for the others." Lance began to slow his lion down but Keith began to fly ahead.

"No, I think I see them! We're close!" Keith pushed on, though he really had no clue if he was seeing a faintly glowing Galra flyer or if his eyes were just playing tricks on him. He felt it though, they had to be close. His stomach was churning and the feeling that something was entirely wrong had settled there. He wanted to find the root of the problem before it found them.

"Keith what are you doing, you can't see anything!" Lance pushed his lion back to full throttle to keep up with Keith, the blue being marred by the dark orange and black sand whipping through the air. "Keith, pull back!" Lance yelled at him, the irritation evident in his voice.